November 20, 2017, 08:01:47 PM
News: Visit a haunt in Virginia this season!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Haunting Experience on Hwy 61 - (Cottage Grove, MN) 9/27/13  (Read 922 times)
Badger
Completely Haunted

« on: September 30, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »

This weekend I was in Minnesota doing a pair of workshops, plus covering Crypticon for the show and I was able to go visit this haunt in Cottage Grove, MN as part of the weekend.

Scare Factor: 2/5 - This haunt is on the site of a nursery and landscape company and has all its Fall displays out, including all the flowers, pumpkins, and kid's Halloween things.  Inside may be a different story, but the outside doesn't instill a sense of dread when you pull in. I never saw any characters walking through the crowds or lurking near the hayride.  You can't see any of the hayride or zombie shoot at the main entrance so I think that actually hurts the scare factor.  The bonfire was a nice touch, though.  

Actors: 3.25/5 - This was opening night and the actors were basically trying to get into a rhythm.  The actors inside the haunt looked a bit more hesitant to confront patrons, choosing to dwell in the shadows and pop only when necessary.  The clown who walked around Scummo's 3-D Nightmare while doing a full bridge was genuinely creepy.  The actors on the hayride were more animated and the combine driver was probably insane in real life and I would NOT want to meet him in real life.

Set design/Props/FX: 3/5 - No complaints.  Most of their stuff is hand-built and worked well.  I love the hayride designs that made good use of the natural setting and on a clear night was very eerie.  the rotating monsters prop was impressive and I liked a lot of their sets.  They probably have one of the more unique vortex tunnels.  Their zombie shooting gallery was sparsely populated (I only saw one) but had lots of other things to shoot.

Length: 4/5 - The hayride took a good 40 minutes to go through and the haunted house took at least 20.  No complaints there.

Value: 4/5 - General admission on a Saturday night is $17.00 with an additional charge if you want to shoot zombies.  No complaints for the amount of time you spend there.  You will spend at least an hour if you just do the haunts and hayride and the lines are short.

Other: - The food vendor sells one of the BEST pork chops I have ever tasted.  Hot dogs, brats and chips are very inexpensive and perfect for going haunting.  Lots of games, a dance floor with a DJ, and a beer tent (it IS Minnesota) and you can make a full evening of it.

Overall: 3.25/5 - While not the scariest haunt I have ever been too, it was a lot of fun and just scary enough that you wont want to bring young kids.  There are plenty of options for you to do after going through everything.  Come for the hayride and zombie shoot, stay for the pork chops and dancing.

https://www.facebook.com/HauntingExperienceonHighway61

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: