November 20, 2017, 11:43:34 PM
News: Join FrightSeekers for the inside info on haunts!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Campground Massacre *Official* Reviews 2013  (Read 1427 times)
Slappy
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:06:34 AM »

Visit Date: 10/4/13
Submitted by: packbacker

Scare Factor - 3/5
There are two big factors that will effect this number for patrons.  Number one is if you are in the front of the group or the rear.  Groups on the trail are large and scares are very noticeably front-heavy.  If you're the first through you'll have a lot more scares your way and if you're at the back you'll watch the front folks get scared and may get an actor try and re-set to get you again but you will know what's coming.  Secondly, if you have attended the Campground Massacre before the scare factor is signifcantly less than first time visitors.  Not many changes were notable from years past.  Patrons new to the attraction, though, should be sufficiently scared walking through the woods and buildings of the trail.  The Campground Massacre's vibrating body bag rooms are always a high point.  The setting is great with old campers and out-buildings but unfortunately it just falls flat in points.

Actors - 3/5
There are decent numbers here and no one broke character.  Most of the time the actors are limited to a quick pop scare and then trying to re-set to hit the back of the large group.  A few simply stared at our group.  That's creepy once but more than once and it's simply confusing at best and a let-down at worst.  Kudos should go out to the clowns.  Captain Spaulding was a lot of fun and the other clown actors seemed to be the strongest of the bunch.

Set Design/Props/FX - 4/5
Campground Massacre always looks good.  They feature a large number of high quality props, terrific set pieces (see the vibrating body bag rooms), and a natural ambience of a campground full of killers.  One building featured a significant odor that made it very unpleasant to walk through.  The giant animatronics, while impressive, could use a better set up (ie an actor distracting the group before one appears).     

Length- 3/5
The trail still seems short after the Mina's Mansion attraction was removed. 

Value 3/5
If you've never been to Campground Massacre before you will be entertained for your money.  If you're a repeat visitor there's not enough new there to see and not enough actor interaction to go back year after year.  Check the website as there are significant discounts for weekends early in the year.

Other
Free parking with a location that is very close off I-77.

Overall Impression - 3/5
Campground Massacre is a hybrid haunt- some of the old school woodsy spook trail feel mixed in with some high dollar impressive animatronic props.  It's a spectacle to behold for first time visitors but a bit of a re-tread if you've been before. 
Slappy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:09:37 AM »

Visited: 10/4/13
Submitted by: jonesm

Scare Factor: 2/5
Too much of this trail felt like it was just going through the motions.  There were quality sets and props, and a few good pop scares, but all in all it was all very standard.  The first Captain Spaulding clown with the chainsaw was great, and there were so many mannequins strewn about that they made good use of the whole which-one-is-real dynamic.  There were several smoke machines, which were helpful, and it made all the mannequins extremely effective in the mist, but taken as a whole this isn't a very scary trail.

Actors: 2.5/5
The monsters weren't bad by any means, but they did very little to stand out, either.  There was virtually no interaction at all, and very few definite characters to pick out.  I'd say the acting was the epitome of average.

Sets/Props/FX: 4/5
The Campground used to have an old mansion as a major part of the trail, and it was the easy highlight of the haunt.  Now they've done away with it and scattered pieces of that set throughout the rest of the trail.  It means that there are really great sets at every turn but not a lot of scares or even context to get the most out of them.  There are some really great (and no doubt extremely expensive) animatronics along the trail, and those are terrific, but are usually just stuck somewhere along the way without an accompanying scare or
even in some case particular care taken to disguise their fake-ness.  The sets are the haunt's strong suit, but they could be implemented much more effectively, and presented as the star attraction they ought to be.

Length: 2/5
I often say spook trails are like roller coasters, and like coasters, they don't need to be extremely long to be extremely good.  But this trail FEELS short, and that's a problem.  With the speedy tractor ride, and without the mansion element, the length felt pretty chincy to me.

Value: 2.5/5
The natural resources of being held at an actual KOA campground mean that this trail will always feel spooky and authentic in a way.  And for that, it's not a BAD value.  But the creativity and enthusiasm are lacking and the trail is short, so there are better values for your haunted dollar in the area.

Overall: 2.5/5
As I say, this isn't a bad haunt, it's an average one.  So it gets an average grade.  I'd say this is for completists only this season, and hopefully they can recapture some of their past glory next year.
Slappy
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »

Submitted by: Screaming_Diana
Date Attended: 10/04/2013

Scare Factor: 3/5
This isnít an extremely scary haunt but it has some of the most amazing props, sets, and animatronics Iíve ever seen.  They send you through in larger groups but I still think we got to see most of the scares.  However the guys in the back of the group possibly missed a few good scares and animatronics.  I love the campground theme with all the old run down abandoned campers.  It looked like something right out of a horror film.  Someone or something came through and massacred everyone living there and left all the gory blood covered bodies behind.

Actors: 2/5
The actors looked great.  Again everything here was amazing to look at but they didnít do much in attempts to truly scare people.  They would do a quick pop scare and played out their part but that was it.  Many of the actors seemed to keep their distance and not really try to pursue an in your face kind of scare.  The clowns were hyped up and got a few screams out of me.  There are some amazing looking zombies slowly roaming around the campground.  I donít know how they got into some of those uncomfortable looking positions.  Theyíve got the creepy zombie walk down to a tee.   

Set Design/Props/FX: 5/5
This is the highlight of the haunt for sure.  They pay attention to detail and itís just amazing to look at.  Every set was perfectly put together.  The fog and mist floating across the ground gave me an unsettling feeling.  A campground is the perfect atmosphere for a haunt. I could imagine something like I experienced here actually happening at a campground.  Not only did the campers have an old grungy camper look they also have and an old grungy camper smell.   I liked their use of fire throughout the tail.  It helped keep their camping theme tied together.  The HUGE animatronic monsters are shocking.  The bridge almost dropped me to my knees and some of the low hanging rubble seemed to ooze liquid.  They have the coolest textured walls with some really gory decapitated heads that swing and hit you in the face if youíre not paying attention.  Some of the rooms were so full of props if was hard to get around them.  Like the vibrating torsos you couldnít avoid touching to get through.   

Length: 2/5
Itís just too short.  Itís very disappointing to go through the vortex and the haunt just end.

Value:  2/5
$20 seems a bit steep for this short haunt.  It is amazing to look at so if youíre really into just seeing some awesome sets/props you might be happy with the cost.  For $20 I want more in your face scares but itís all in what youíre looking for in a haunt.  They do offer discount pricing on some Thursdays and Sundays.

Other:  They accept visa, mastercard, amex, discover, and of course cash for admission.  Registered campers also get discounts.

Overall Impression:  3/5
Although it wasnít very scary I had a good time.  I was with great friends, got to see some really awesome animatronics, took a really fast ride on a tractor trailer, and of course screamed more than once.  I would recommend The Campground Massacre to anyone who has never been. 
Slappy
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »

Visit Date: 10/4/13
Submitted by : regncguy

Scare Factor: 3.5/5 This was my first time to this haunt and really didn't know what to expect. I was expecting a long ride down into the haunt with people jumping on the ride, but it was very quick and then into the scares. There were several areas that got me jumping, notably the campers that you go in and out of and the rooms where the shaking body bags was a nice touch because of the smoke and not knowing what was real and not.

Actors: 3/5 I would like to give them a higher number, but they seemed to be going through the motions in some sets. There were a few that gave some good startle scares and then moved away to reset, but it seemed they hit the front of the group and then were gone. The group behind us caught up to us and they really missed out on the actors and probably didn't see many of them due to the pop and go that the actors were doing.

Set Design/Props/FX: 4.5/5 This was truly the best part of the haunt for me. Weaving in and out of old campers, the set up of the animatronics, the fog that seemed to lay on the ground everywhere led to a really good feel and gave a spooky feeling the whole way through the haunt. They have really spent some time and effort in making it look really good and there was plenty to look at.

Length: 3/5 Even though you seem to go through a lot, it was a very quick haunt to walk through, not a lot of dead zones with all the sets and things to look at, but would have liked it to be longer.

Value: 3/5 Being the first time there, I thought it was just OK for $20. Like I said, it seemed a little short for that money, but overall not a bad deal for a first timer. 

Overall Impression: 4/5 I liked this haunt, but as I have said, this was my first time through and it was all a new scare for me. They have some really good actors and some that didn't seem that into it. They had great sets, and the atmosphere for a haunt is there for you to get into. I would recommend it if you have never been there, had a good time and enjoyed seeing all the different sets.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: