November 23, 2017, 09:49:18 AM
News: Visit a North Carolina haunt this weekend!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Field of Scream- Gaffney, SC  (Read 448 times)
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« on: October 13, 2013, 08:53:28 AM »

Field of Scream- Gaffney/Pacolet, SC
Visit Date: 10/11/13

Scare Factor: 2/5
If my trail mate writes a review I think she will vehemently disagree with my rating.  She found it one of the scariest of the season while I found it quite tame.  We went through as a group of two so there is no problem with group size at this trail.  Most scares are quick pop scares.  BoBo the clown (see later in the review) and a guy literally jumping off a roof were the highlights.  Bare spots along the trail broke the mood as did child actors and monsters talking to you to give you directions.  A corn maze is much more effective if you get lost in it yourself. Having a monster point you to a dead end to have another one break character and say "nope turn around" just doesn't cut it.

Actors: 2/5
The attraction suffers both in numbers and in talent.  There was one standout- BoBo the clown.  This guy has it down and is seen and heard terrifying people towards the end of the haunt as well as along the midway.  There are some child actors here.  They can work in certain situations but didn't here.  In one instance you have the bride in the graveyard who walks over to a child with her face covered.  She simply looks up and yells "Boo!".  Cute perhaps but it doesn't fit.  There are several bare areas and actors generally settle for a simple pop scare.  They're having fun to be sure but it's not consistent.

Props/Sets/Fx: 2/5
For a 8-10 dollar trail they're doing fine but overall the sets and props are minimal.  It's standard fare across the board.  The cemetery set looks decent with a small bridge you must cross and there is a strobe tunnel towards the end that is incredibly eerie to see as you meander towards it.

Length: 3/5
There are a few indoor scenes, a corn maze with some misdirection, and a short walk through the woods.  It took us 10-15 minutes to complete the trail and that included a monster intentionally misleading us on directions.  

Value:  4/5
It's a $10 trail with a $2 off coupon on the website.  For $8 it's above par but will probably leave you wanting more in the end.

Other:
Free parking!  We didn't linger at the haunt but I noticed picnic tables and cornhole boards.  It gave off a decent family hanging-out kind of atmosphere.

Overall: 2.5/5
For the price they're doing fine.  It's small and fun.  Scary is in the eye or scream of the beholder but it's an amusing quick trail.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:22:26 AM by packbacker » Logged

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: