November 18, 2017, 05:24:38 AM
News: The Screaming Season is Here!  Visit a Featured Haunt and Enjoy!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Most Extreme Haunts  (Read 1838 times)
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »

McKamey Manor has got to be at the top of this list!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6CGlBVpCA

screaming_diana
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »

I think that's just mean.  No way I would go through that! 
handfulofrubies82
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:33:02 PM »

I'm with you, Diana, I would never put myself through that. 

Fortune Favors the Bold
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:22:57 PM »

I saw a facebook posting from them that no one had made it through their test runs for 2014.  Im not sure how someone hasnt gotten seriously hurt there (waivers be damned).  The no quitting thing is the kicker- because at some point someone getting tackled (that blew me away!) is gonna break something. 

I'm definitely into / curious about the more interactive haunts but McKamey seems *too* extreme.  Side note- I think Ive convinced a friend to do Blackout this year.  So I will get a 2nd hand report if he makes it through (on my dime!)

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
krb187
Completely Haunted

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »

Yeah somehow I don't really buy the whole no quitting thing from them though. How can someone not make it through if there's no quitting? Plus I gotta imagine that if someone starts throwing punches or headbutts or whatever that they're not getting through the rest of the haunt.

bethyboo
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

no way would I go through that haunt!
Slappy
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »

That's not a haunted house, that's an abomination. That's just some sick, twisted SOB's idea of how to get his kicks. I didn't see anything scary in that video, I just saw things that would make me extremely upset and/or mad. Someone stuffing something into my mouth like that would get their fingers bitten. All the screaming and throwing blood? And jumping on people and riding them like a horse, or wrapping them up in duct tape? I'm surprised we haven't heard about any serious injuries at this place.
Carolina Haunter
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 07:30:28 PM »

Not a fun or scary haunt at all!
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »

Here's the list that 'blackcat' put together of the most extreme haunts, McKamey Manor topped the list.

http://ravenblackcat.com/blog/2013/10/21/the-5-most-extreme-haunted-houses-in-america

Prof. Hacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »

We do some crazy stuff, but this... well... just... wow...

This is not 'Scary Fun'.

Serious therapy is indicated for all involved.

-Prof. Hacker
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »

I just read another post the owner of McKamey manor made on a facebook group.  His test run this year took 7.5 hours and they didn't finish.  I can't fathom it.  Still curious about blackout as I think there is a production value to it. 

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
Slappy
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »

I don't know. None of these haunts sounds like anything I'd want to experience. Maybe Haunted Hoochie, but I can't find myself wanting to endure "extreme physical contact." I spent years of my life training how to control myself not to fight, but someone tackling me like in the video for McKamey Manor, there's absolutely no need for that. If you can't get a scare  (or at least a reaction) out of me without physically beating me, then you're in the wrong business. I realize these people probably go through some basic "training" to work in these haunted houses, but I seriously doubt they're trained how to make a physical attack seem real and vicious without actually hurting someone. These shouldn't be called haunted houses, or even haunted attractions, that's an insult to those in the industry who can get a scare without abuse, foul language, nudity or by being completely disgusting.
Carolina Haunter
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »

I agree completely. This is what gives haunts a bad name period.
Prof. Hacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 09:36:20 PM »

I agree completely. This is what gives haunts a bad name period.

Yes it does.
Badger
Completely Haunted

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »

I worked at the Hoochie in 2011 and Tim the owner says it best. "If you don't want to go through what we do, don't pay the money to go through it."

It takes a different type of person to go through an extreme haunt like these.  They are definitely not for everyone, but they do fill a small but growing niche in the industry.  With haunts trying to make their haunts scarier and scarier for more and more jaded customers, I suppose it was only a matter of time that these would start getting more popular.  Five years ago, Dead Acres (Haunted Hoochie) and House of Shock in New Orleans were the only 'extreme' haunts I knew of but now I can think of at least a dozen.  I never thought Blackout in New York would make it past a year, but they do VERY well.  The closest extreme haunt I can think of is in Anderson SC and I might run down and check it out.  Do I think the future of haunts is with extreme haunts? No.   Do I think they will continue to grow and proliferate?  Yes.

House of Shock is closing after this year. I expect 3-4 more will pop up to take its place.  It will be most interesting to follow the progress of extreme haunts to see if they are merely a fad or will become a major factor in the industry.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: