November 18, 2017, 06:29:56 PM
News: The Screaming Season is Here!  Visit a Featured Haunt and Enjoy!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Camp Fear - Hiddenite, NC  (Read 655 times)
hauntednorcak
Haunted

« on: October 05, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »

Date Visited: 10/4/14

Scare Factor: 3/5 - The location is honestly quite horrifying. It looks like a set straight out of a movie. The drive out there is completely through the backwoods, several miles from the interstate.  You drive down a dusty gravel road and arrive at the campground. You buy tickets under a shelter, and are given a number. We were the first group of the night. We hopped on the long hayride, which sadly has no actors even though there are some great spots for potential scares. We then hear the very long, yet hilarious story of Daniel from Daniel's mother. We walked into the first house, and scares started immediately. A few guys in my group jumped about ten times in that first house, there were a lot of pop scares and loud noise to make you jump. After that, it was more entertaining really than scary. The mazes are awesome, there are actually three areas were we got lost. All of the mazes were inhabited. which added to the scares. The clown house was weak in my opinion, it was 3D but it lacked actors and just wasn't really scary. The insane asylum probably stood out the most in my opinion. There were a few dead spots in the trail, towards to beginning. I assume this was because it was only their second night and they hadn't worked out all the kinks yet.

Actors: 3.5/5 - Some actors were great. Some actors were not so great.Daniel was really a standout in my opinion. He was quite young, but he was creepy and really got in people's faces. The asylum actors were really good, always in your face and always screaming. The dentist was also another standout actor, he did a lot of speaking to our group and his little drill prop was awesome! The actors in the clown section weren't the best. The chainsaw guy, there was only one of them (a surprise to me), didn't do a great job of being persistent. My group has been to a lot of haunted houses, be didn't have any screamers or runners, but the chainsaw guy just came out, saw we weren't gonna run, and just left. Kind of disappointed me. Actors in all mazes were good, they had people screaming and misdirected. I was laughing as they had people walking in circles. The biggest letdown was the ending, there was nothing special and no actors much in the area. There was a decent number of actors through the entirety of the haunt, but still there were a few dead spots. I think this will get better, however throughout the season.

Set Design/Props/FX: 3/5 - There are no major animatronics here. No giant props. There honestly doesn't have to be. It's an old fashioned trail, and rightly so. There is no need for giant hollywood props. Most costumes were good, not many cheap looking masks at all here. There was a good bit of black plastic, but several rooms to make up for it. The clown room was probably the most "high tech" room. The asylum also looked really good, as did the dentist office.

Length: 5/5 - This is a long haunt. From the time you get on the hayride to the time you leave, it takes about 50 minutes. You could be in there longer if get lost or stuck more than we did in either of the mazes. The hayride could make the experience seem longer if there were scares, and not just a long ride out to the trail. You feel satisfied when you leave the trail. They do a good job of keeping the scares and energy up throughout the trail, minus the few dead spots towards the beginning. However, those dead spots are not boring, There are some props and you are walking beside the creek, and its a creepy vibe and sort of makes you feel like you are just wandering through the woods. That's why I didn't deduct anything for them.

Value: 4.5/5 - We brought 2 canned foods and got in for $9. For $9, that's probably one of the best values, if not the best in the state. You cannot get any other long experience like this for only $9. The regular price is $18, which is why I gave it a 4.5/5, because it's may be a dollar or two high but I wouldn't have been disappointed had I payed $18 for this.

Overall: 3.5/5 - Camp Fear is much more fun than it is scary. The actors are really good, and do however provide lots of scares, however its not a in your face, make you cower on the ground in fear type place. I would love to see scares added to the hayride, I think that would add a great affect to this trail. Just a few more actors would be nice. The sets look good, even though this is a low budget trail the scenes are really nice. It's a very long trail, were were out of here by 8:30 and we were the first group of the night, so you will spend a little time here. It's a good value, and its a lotta fun. I would reccomend this place if you are in the area.

Other: FREE COFFEE, HOT CHOCOLATE, CIDER. Very, very nice touch especially on a chilly night like last night. Parking is free also.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:31:56 PM by collinmatt9 » Logged

Whatever you do, don't fall asleep.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: