November 20, 2017, 02:10:53 PM
News: Visit a haunt in Virginia this season!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Haunted Pyramids - 2014  (Read 1402 times)
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« on: October 19, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »

Haunted Pyramids
Submitted by: packbacker
Date visited: 10/10/14

Scare Factor: 4/5
Scares differ attraction to attraction.  They're probably the least plentiful in Clown Town.  it's a visual feast but not particularly scary until the end.  The asylum ups the game with a plethora of demented patients and doctors.  The scares from above are particularly noteworthy as well as getting chased by a chainsaw through some air-bags!  Monster Manor is always my favorite part of the attraction.  The majority of it is 3D based. Disorientation with painted walls
and pop scares galore.  The Haunted Pyramids is the star attraction with a longer indoor trail.  This year there are snakes and other creatures inhabiting the old recording studio.  The opening laser room is still an effective introduction/scare as are old sets with Jigsaw, the slaughterhouse, and a gigantic flame.

Actors: 4/5
The actors at The Haunted Pyramids seem to get better year after year.  We didn't catch anyone breaking character which has been a staple here in the past.  The patients in the asylum were suitably batty- jumping down from the ceiling and screaming like there was no tomorrow.  The clown actors settled for pop scares for the most part but did have their giggling down.  Monster Manor and the Haunted Pyramids becomes more intense with some chasing and cornering of patrons.  Pinhead always delivers at the end.  One lady in the pyramids was crawling on the floor with some weird looking double jointedness going on that made us all a bit uneasy.  There were no noticeable bare areas.   

Sets/Props/Fx: 4/5
There's a solid mix of animatronic to actor driven prop scares.  Parts of Clown Town and the Asylum almost look like they have themed junk on the floor....and that's part of the charm.  Masks and make-up range from great to cheap in appearance.  Everywhere you turn you have vibrating set pieces or things flying at you from above or drop walls for actors to terrorize you.  One room was so full of fog I couldn't find the floor....which would have been cool except we had to go down some steps!  What I also love about this place is the fact that the whole outer expanse is filled with glowing hearses, inflatable halloween decorations, and what I call Halloween graffiti on the building exteriors.

Length: 5/5
There are four separate attractions here.  Two are shorter five minute walk throughs while the other two are 15 to 25 minute treks. You're looking at 45 minutes plus of adventure. 

Value: 5/5
Certain nights are $15 with regular price at $22 per person.  There's a $2 coupon on the website as well.  Fifteen is a bargain and $20 is still just fine for the amount of attractions you get.

Other:
Free parking!  The Haunted Pyramids just feels like a big carnival.  You don't have to buy a ticket to cruise the "midway"- replete with picnic tables, hot dogs, cotton candy, caramel apples, a booming sound system, a full gift shop with both logo merchandise and general Halloween fare, and a palpable sense of fun and excitement. 

Overall: 4/5
This place has charm.  There are some scares, there is some great things to look at, but more than that it just oozes this country fair vibe.  The idyllic country vibe is piereced occasionally by chainsaws and screams but its got a very unique feeling to it that always makes us glad we drove so far to visit.  You can make an evening of it and I guarantee you will enjoy your time here. 
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:51:36 PM »

The Haunted Pyramids
Submitted by: Screaming_Diana
Date Attended: 10/10/2014

Scare Factor:  4/5
This place has a fantastic carnival feel to it.  At first glance, as you peek down into the valley, it almost looks like a happy place.  Then you look a little closer and realize itís full of frightening inhabitants.  The haunt consist of four attractions: The Haunted Pyramids, Monster Manor in 3D, Clown Town in 3D, and The Asylum.  The Haunted Pyramids was the longest and scariest of the four attractions.  Thereís a little bit of everything here, so no matter what your fear is youíll likely experience it while here.  Theyíve got your fears covered from chainsaws, snakes, fire, darkness, clowns, chainsaws, loud noises, movie villains, and did I mention chainsaws?

Actors:  4/5
The actor numbers were plenty.  They were all eager to frighten their victims and had great timing with their pop scares.  The actors stayed in character and once their victims had passed they continued to terrorize people roaming the midway by popping out of their set, yelling at the passerbys, or quietly standing and staring just to creep someone out.  I canít remember any real unusual masks or characters but their make-up and costumes were all very well designed.  Iíve never had Jeepers Creepers 2 inches from my face looking me right in the eyesÖuntil tonight.  He was CREEPY but luckily gone in a flash of light!  The monsters thrive on scaring you and if they can hear your name they will echo it throughout the haunt.  The possessed girls looked creepy as hell crawling ever so slowly toward you.  Iím not sure how they get into such distorted positions.

Set Design/Props/FX:  4/5
The design of this haunt is perfect and part of what makes it so unique.  Itís split into multiple haunts but also has a fun midway to hangout in.  It reminds me of a small carnival with an evil twist.  Itís all laughter and fun while in the midway watching people run from haunt to haunt but once inside itís all screams.  I really like that once you purchase your ticket you are free to roam around and admire the exterior of the haunts and have the flexibility to enter each haunt in any order you desire.  The old rickety unleveled floors and small slanted passageways make simply walking through sections of this haunt scary.  Theyíve got hidden passages, drop doors, and lofts for their monsters to hide in so you never know where the next scare could be coming from.  It was awesome looking back and seeing the neon faced snake guy slowing maneuvering down the laser lit hallway.  They have an interesting new room that ďcomes aliveĒ this year.

Length:  5/5
The Asylum and Clown Town seemed fairly short but Monster manor was longer and The Pyramids were very long.  With all 4 haunts together itís a heck of a long haunt experience.

Value:  5/5
$22 bucks gets you into all 4 haunts.  They have $2 off coupons on their website.  For only $5 a haunt itís a steal!

Other:
They offer concessions (most notably cotton candy) and souvenirs for purchase.  The gift/souvenir shop has t-shirts, costumes, masks, and other interesting gadgets for sale.  Parking is free and the entire staff is always exceptionally friendly.   

Overall Impression:  4.5/5
Every other haunt in the area was closed the night we went due to rain but I was so happy to discover The Haunted Pyramids was open and ready to show us a frightfully good time.  This haunt continues to impress me each year.  Everyone, from the monsters to the victims, seems to be having a scary fun time.  I guarantee youíll have a good time being scared or watching others get scared so mark it on your calendars before the season ends.  You donít want to miss it.

NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »

The Haunted Pyramids
Date Attended: 10/10/14
Submitted by: jonesm

Scare Factor: 4/5
The Pyramids are actually four trails in one, and each of them has its own character, but all have something scary for each taste.  Clown Town is the least scary, as usual, but The Asylum continues with the leap forward it took last year.  For scares, The Pyramids themselves have always been the best, and this year was no exception.  The room that "comes alive" was a little bit disappointing to me personally, but that's mostly because it isn't one of my pet fears.  For others, I suspect it'll be knee weakening!  All in all, The Pyramids has something for everyone.

Actors: 4/5
One of the risks haunts that go for fun over terror have is that their actors won't really commit to the scare sometimes.  When we first found this haunt years ago, they definitely had that problem.  But those days are long gone!  The cast is ready to rock all the way through all four trails at this haunt.  A steady upward trend in this regard over the last few years, I was once again impressed.

Set Design/Props/FX: 4/5
The Pyramids have always had a gloriously delapodated feel to absolutely every piece of its set design.  It's actually one of my favorite aspects of the haunt, that everything feels like its moments away from giving up the ghost and just collapsing on itself.  This year, it seemed even more so, the floor seemed less stable, the walls seemed to close in a little.  It's enough to make you wonder how they passed the fire marshal's inspection from time to time.  And if that's not a positive review for a spook trail, I don't know what is!  I love this design of this trail; it's unique and perfectly suited to the feel of the place.  It's a winner!

Length: 6/5
They just don't come better than this!  Four trails that could each stand on their own.  I can't imagine length being an issue for anyone here.

Value: 5/5
As I say, four trails for the price of one, enough said.  It's also worth mentioning that The Pyramids have one of the best midway areas around.  There are other more polished ones at the higher price trails, but you usually pay for the cool stuff in addition to your ticket price.  Here's there's fun props to check out, cheap refreshments, a gift shop, and an overall friendly family (yes, family!) feel to it all.  The fact that you can have a family feel right next to all the ghouls and goblins is really pretty remarkable.  Value is the number one asset of this haunt.

Overall: 4.5/5
I have a real soft spot for this haunt.  Lots of haunts are in the middle of nowhere, but not like this one is.  Lots of them have midways and a carnival feel outside, but none so warm and ingratiating as this one.  And lots of places have long trails, but none with so many different areas and personalities as this one has.  It's not the biggest or the scariest or full of the most expensive technology, but it sure is a hell of a good time!  There's not a whole lot I can highlight about how great it is, just trust me on it, I've been to a ton of these things!  And if you're anywhere close to Lawndale in October, do yourself the favor and go check it out.  If you really love spook trails, you'll see what I meanÖ
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: