November 17, 2017, 09:30:02 PM
News: Visit a haunt in Virginia this season!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Campground Nightmare - 2014  (Read 920 times)
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« on: October 19, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »

Campground Nightmare
submitted by: packbacker
Date visited: 10/4/2014

Scare Factor: 4/5
Last year we shuffled through in a gigantic group and really didn't feel any tension.  This year we were sent through as a group of six and never encountered anyone else on the trail.  Tighter scares, actor attention, and an excellent mixture of props/actors leaves you looking over your shoulder constantly.  There are a lot of dark tunnels which are made more disorienting by piped in audio effects.  Our entire group gasped in a strobe lit hallway where we then encountered people in dark cowls with the most bizarre porcelain like faces.  Several group members were frozen in their tracks....after they had gone running through a room full of body bags a few seconds before.  Animatronics are well placed to elicit screams as well.

Actors: 4/5
Numbers and talent seemed vastly improved from last year.  In the past it seemed like a lot of the folks here were either overwhelmed or just going through the motions.  I didn't sense that at all during our visit.  There is A LOT of screaming with a good mixture of stalking when they get someone cowering/running. A few of the zombies were contorting into painful looking positions and skittering all over the fallen leaves in terrifying manners.  The clowns literally did not stop giggling the entire time we were with them.  Maniacal, constant giggling.  The queue actors (pre and post) were a bit weak but overall they took a gigantic step up this year!

Props/Sets/Fx: 5/5
Campground Nightmare continues to feature some of the largest animatronic props I've seen on haunted trails.  Although I've seen it a half dozen times the gigantic monster holding half a body (with dangling intestines mind you) always leaves me a little bit in awe.  The sets are solid throughout with lovely gory details here and there.  Vibrating body bags, a strobe filled hallway with porcelain faced actors, corpses on a spit, blood drenched campers, and an actor extended outwards on a piston were the highlights but it's a visual feast throughout.  They do an excellent job of incorporating sound- ghostly voices whispering "wrong way" and giggles/screams that un-nerve you as you turn the next corner.  There is even a smell element (intentional or not) where the last winding room has a distinct scent of fresh earth as with a newly dug grave.  Your senses will not be let down at Campground Nightmare.

Length: 3/5
While packed with eye popping visuals and a horde of actors the trail still feels a bit short. 

Value: 3/5
Tickets vary from $16-$22 depending on when you go.  Despite the amazing visuals $22 seems a bit steep for the length while $16 is a great value.

Other:
Free parking!  The attraction is located right off I-77 with ample signage to the destination. 

Overall: 4/5
We had a refreshing experience this year.  Smaller groups with no conga line effect make this place so much more effective.  It's striking in its appearance but this year delivered an intense in your face vibe.  We had group members running, shrieking, hiding, and looking around in amazement at various props. I didn't notice a huge numbers of changes to the trail itself so repeat visitors may know what is coming but regardless we had a fantastic time. 
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »

The Campground Nightmare
Submitted by: Screaming_Diana
Date Attended: 10/04/2014

Scare Factor:  3.5/5
The Campground Nightmare doesnít start out scary but rather fun.  Once your ticket is purchased you take this really fast fun tractor ride to the haunt entrance.  Once inside the main haunt the scares intensify.  Theyíll rattle your nerves with bright strobe lights, frightful sounds, and stinky odd smells.  I was scared throughout most of the haunt but for those that donít scare so easily you will still be in wonder over all there is to see.

Actors:  3.5/5
Not only were the actor numbers good but the actors were very solid.  We went through in a group of 6 and the actors were able to target every person in our group.  They are well staged and know how to hold a scare.  The actor scares were well timed and some actors even had me thinking they were props until they bolted up at the last minute.  Special mention goes to the clowns who stalked me all the way through and out of their set.  At times I felt as though I was being followed so itís possible I was stalked more often than I realized.  I was too scared to turn around and find out.       

Set Design/Props/FX:  5/5
The Campground Nightmare is amazing to look at.  We were able to walk the trail at our own pace so we had plenty of time to ooh and aah over the sets and props.  They have some of the most amazing animatronics Iíve ever seen at a haunt.  Theyíve got small and simple animatronics to gigantic and almost overpowering ones.  Itís incredible to stumble upon these massive creatures as you venture through the campground.    Itís really hard to determine if something is a prop or an actor.  From vibrating body bags and corpses, to hanging clowns and creatures that just blend into their surroundings it really is hard to tell whatís real and whatís not. Proceed with caution over the bridges as you might lose your footing.  Loud noises are startling but hearing soft eerie whispers as you attempt to make your way through a dark maze is simply unnerving.  Perhaps my favorite set was the long corridor of strobe lights.  Youíre sure to be creeped out looking down that long hallway and realizing you and your group is not alone in this long narrow passageway.

Length:  5/5
Itís a self-guided tour and youíre not rushed through which is great because they have so many amazing things to see.  The length is perfect with the long walking trail and the super fast tractor ride.

Value:  3/5
If youíve never been, I think, itís worth the asking price of $22.  For return visitors this price seems a little steep because youíve likely seen the amazing props and animatronics in previous years.   

Other:
Parking is free.  For payment they accept Cash, Visa, Master Card, Amex, Discover and according to their website- your soul.

Overall Impression:  4/5
I feel the Campground Nightmare was much improved from last year.  Going through the haunt in a smaller group makes the haunt scarier, more fun, and an all-around better experience. Thanks to good line management everyone in our group was able to appreciate all the amazing animatronics and actor scares this haunt has to offer.  I was very impressed with the Campground Nightmare this Halloween season.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:29:55 PM by NCHadmin » Logged
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »

Campground Nightmare
Date attended: 10-4-2014
Submitted by: krb187

Scare Factor: 4.5/5
First off I can honestly say that I have never seen my girlfriend get scared so much at a haunt before. That alone is enough for a great score but added with the fact that they actually got me pretty well a couple of times (which is admittedly not easy) and that is just the icing on the cake for me. The props are lifelike and creepy and the actors have just impeccable timing with their scares. The absolute best thing about Campground Nightmare though is the way they assault every single sense you have. Youíll obviously see and hear creepy things but youíre most definitely going to be touching and smelling some things you probably would rather not, and that just immerses you into the experience so much more. As of 10-6 this is the scariest haunt I have been too and thatís saying something.

In years past this has been the category where Campground Nightmare was a little lacking. That is absolutely not the case this year. The actors here shine and are experts at fitting into their roles and areas and making you believe they really do belong there. My favorite has to be the zombies though, I legitimately could not tell which were props and which were real until they started moving. And boy did they move, they would walk, crawl, jump and contort their bodies in any way imaginable to make sure that they scared you from every angle they could. The clowns were also high spots for me and had the lunatic clown laugh down to a tee. The actors timing was perfect and always utilized the perfect time to scare you and all around just did a very, very good job.

Set Design/Props/FX: 5/5
Man oh man, does Campground Nightmare ever have some props. Everything from the littlest set detail to the huge Hollywood caliber props that are on par with bigger haunts such as Spookywoods are expertly detailed and used to their full potential. I was so impressed with the scale of the animatronics and they are actually kind of intimidating. The smaller props are used just right to provide the distractions for the actors to get the most out of their scares. I just canít stress enough how perfect the harmony between actor and prop is here. The level of detail here is also very satisfying with the real shining star being, oddly enough, the smell. I donít think Iíve seen smell utilized so effectively before in a haunt. The campground scene smells like wood fires, the cave smelled like a cave, and the nasty hillbilly trailer smelled likeÖ..well Iím sure you get the idea. It was just the perfect finishing touch to really round out the already extremely well designed sets and just immerse you that much more. You really feel like you are wherever they want you to be. Also have to quickly mention that their use of lighting is some of the best around and one particular hallway had a very unnerving use of a slow strobe light that I absolutely loved.

Length: 4/5
The only thing keeping this from being a 5/5 is that I just wanted more. I was having so much fun and loving every second that it went by too quick. That being said I think it took around 30 mins or so to complete which is a very good length. The fact that I was left wanting more is just a testament to how well I enjoyed myself.

Value: 4/5
Ticket price is $20, and in my personal opinion Campground Nightmare is worth every penny of that. I gladly would pay that for the experience that I had and you can tell that every cent they make is put back into the haunt.

Other:
Parking was free and close to the ticket booth albeit a bit confusing. We were boxed in with a car in front of us and behind us and no way to pull out. It didnít cause any problems as both cars were gone when we came out but I could see that being a problem on the busier nights. Everybody was friendly and helpful and groups were kept small and every part was an enjoyable experience.

Overall: 4.5/5
It had been 4 years since my last visit to Campground Nightmare and I have to say that they have improved exponentially since my last visit. Everything from the actors, to the props, to the sets, to the crazy fast tractor ride was just perfectly executed. Every member of our group had a blast and I think I could speak for them all when I say that we would all be returning next year. If you can make the trip to Fort Mill I would certainly recommend checking out the Campground Nightmare.
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:49:21 AM »

Campground Nightmare
Date attended: 10/4/2014
Submitted by: weresheep
Scare Factor: 5/5
Super creepy! At first I wasnít sure what to expect, especially after a bumpy trailer ride to the trail. There wasnít much to see, but once we got in there it was great. They had some amazingly creepy and lifelike props that really freaked me out.  They had some of the creepiest sets and use of lighting and smell Iíve seen. I have to say I was genuinely freaked out by several parts. What made it was the timing. Iíd be looking at a creepy prop pop out and then next thing I knew an actor was on us. Maybe the most scared Iíve been at a haunt yet!
There were so many good actors. Their timing was on point, and costumes were amazing.  The crazy lady in the nasty trailer was so unsettling (and loud) she made me want to run out of there, but when I did I was only met by someone else who really got me. In a couple places there were actors on the ground and they really looked like they had no legs, which was really creepy and cool. They were all very in your face but nobody was annoying.
Set Design/Props/FX: 5/5
I loved these props! A few props were just so creepy, like the giant werewolf (I think thatís what it was) and the evil dog coming out of the doghouse. Big things like this were placed perfectly with actors and spaced out well from the next section of the trail. There were so many different bad smells that really added to each set. I have to say this was particularly effective in that horrible nasty trailer. There was an amazing use of lighting throughout the trail. There were a couple different uses of strobe lights and the placement and frequency of flashes was very disorienting. One of my favorite (or least favorite) things was the creepy clown bodies that you had to walk through as they swung and trashed around, very scary.
Length: 4/5
Honestly I was so involved with what was going on around me that I lost track of time. However it did not seem too short and there were lots of different sets and sections with good spacing. A decent length but I couldíve stayed in there a bit longer.
Value: 4/5
Tickets are $20 which normally I wouldnít care for too much but the actual haunt was so good that itís worth it. You can definitely tell that the money is put into the haunt itself.
Other: Also the parking was free and close, which is great but was a bit disorganized.
Overall:  5/5
I really enjoyed this haunt and it has to be one of my favorites that Iíve been to. I actually got genuinely scared at Campground Nightmare (which doesnít happen too often). The actors were spot on and the sets were just fantastic. Scary and tons of fun.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: