November 18, 2017, 05:22:43 AM
News: Join FrightSeekers for the inside info on haunts!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hacker House - 2014  (Read 1818 times)
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« on: October 19, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »

Hacker House
Submitted by: packbacker
Date visited: 10/11/14

Scare Factor: 5/5
As will be mentioned throughout the review, if you are not scared at Hacker House you will be entertained without a doubt.  The winding queue line around the gigantic fog spewing creature out front sets the mood- ominous and creepy.  The house is no more but the feel is recaptured with narrow hallways that double back through demented sets.  The second half of the trail is more familiar if you've been to Hacker House before with a fantastic crypt/cemetery, an industrial area, a pitch black maze, and more.  The actors do not let up.....fear is something they smell and will pounce on given the opportunity.  If you're not showing fear you can go back and forth with them all night long- i received a marriage proposal and a beard fluffing all while in character.  Ooohs, Ahhhhs, screams, and giggles.  All in a night's work at Hacker house.....

Actors: 5/5
Hacker House features the most interactive acting group that I've encountered.  There are simple pop scares but a lot of these actors are going to kibitz with you a bit before trying to make you scream....or if you are already screaming they will feel it's their duty to whisper in your ear to perpetuate your uneasiness. At one point we had a bunny rabbit hugging us and a dog asking if he could lick our foreheads.  I'm laughing and my partner in crime was crying; it was excellent work.  Numbers are more than adequate and these people know their marks such that they can hit the group multiple times. 

Sets/Props/Fx: 5/5
The feel of the old house is re-captured in the new sets.  The cave-like portion is gone but the disgustingly fantastic medical area remains as well as the unsettling picture filled hallways and the sincere disorientation of twisting this way and that through the rooms.  The make-up on the actors is solid- the glowing fingertips of one young lady was a unique touch.  There is an excellent bungee cord area as well as some larger props- Cuddles, Clamzilla, a big 'ol dog, and some newer projector features.  If you don't know who Cuddles or clamzilla are don't worry- you'll meet them.  The crypt area is simple yet always disturbing in its setup.  What appeared to be new lighting outside gave a menacing, flickering glow to the area in sections.  Clamzilla is still my favorite non motorized prop I've encountered in North Carolina.

Length: 4/5
There's really no room to lengthen the trail but I always want more.  That's my demented side.  Ask my trail-mate and she will tell you it's too long and she can't wait to finish..

Value: 5/5
Tickets are $15 and well worth it.  You won't find a more intimate experience in the state.  You'll either leave laughing or screaming and will feel it's money well spent.

Other:  Free parking!

Overall: 5/5
Hacker House suffered a travesty over the winter......the house fell victim to a gigantic snowstorm.  I didn't know what to expect when a known entity would be hugely re-done.  What I found was what I always expect from Hacker House- a creepy trail that is the most in your personal space experience from start to finish that you can find.  There is more actor interaction here than any other trail.  Not scared?  That's fine- you'll be incredibly entertained.  From the people running from the exit, though, I'd say most are scared.  Tight spaces, disorienting weaving through rooms, flying monsters, and some terrific props make for a fantastic evening that will leave you laughing your tail off or running for the hills....either way it's mission accomplished.
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »

Hacker House
Submitted by: Screaming_Diana
Date Attended: 10/11/2014

Scare Factor:  5/5
Iím not really sure where to beginÖthis place is terrifying.  Simply writing about this haunt makes me a little nervous and scared.  After years of coming to Hacker House I thought maybe this year wonít be so scary.   After all, Iíve been here before and know my way around or so I thought.   After an unfortunately bad snow storm, this past winter, a large portion of the haunt was damaged and had to be rebuilt.  So Hacker House has a lot of new and exciting things for you to seeÖ if you can keep your eyes open.  It truly is a scary, scary, scary place.

Actors:  5/5
The actors make this haunt awesome.  For starters youíll be entertained in line by a very strange fella.  Heís not extremely scary but very peculiar and sure to keep you laughing.  Once inside the monsters get more aggressive and intense with their scares.  Youíll meet Dr. Kildorkian, he cannot be trusted.  Heíll claim to be a healer of the sick but beware heís up to no good.  There were actors all over the place crawling through the cemetery, flying through the air, and popping out from everywhere.  At one point I was totally surrounded by monsters.  Iím not sure they wouldíve ever let me go but luckily my friend came back to rescue me.  They are brutal and thrive on making you scream.  The more I screamed the more intense the monsters got.  I did get a hug from the Easter Bunny but donít be fooled sheís evil too.

Set Design/Props/Fx:  5/5
A large portion of the haunt is all new this year.  Iím sad to report I didnít see a large portion of the haunt because I was terrified and kept my eyes closed.  What I did see looked fantastic.  The front of the house is always creepy and now theyíve got a window projection that makes it look even creepier.  Theyíve still got some of their old animatronics like the huge creature called Cuddles and Clamzilla, who actually caught me this year.  Iíve always escaped this trap until this year.  Watch out for falling barrels, moving trucks, and chainsaws.  The crypt looked amazing with just enough lighting for you to see the skeletons but not enough for you to see the monsters lurking about.  All I can say is good luck in the pitch black maze.  Thankfully I had someone to hold onto and follow through this maze or I would still be in there.  Itís long, dark, and full of creatures.  I couldnít see them but I could hear them and feel them as I tried to blindly escape.  Whatever you do donít tell them your name.  Nothing good ever comes from telling a monster your name.

Length:  5/5
Iím not sure I could survive it being any longer.  The first room seemed to go on forever.  I think I circled around that area 3-4 times before the monster decided to let me move on.  The length of time it takes you to get through depends on how fast you get through the maze and how quickly you move when the chainsaw chases you.  Youíll be exhausted by the end.

Value:  5/5
For $15 this is a bargain.  No complaints about pricing here.

Other:
The drive down to Hacker House is a bit long and gravel but once you get to the haunt theyíve got parking attendants guiding you where to go.  Parking is free.

Overall Impression:  5/5
This is a must visit haunt for anyone who likes to get scared or finds joy in watching others get scared.  Itís a great location with some fantastic animatronics, incredible actors, and an all-around creepy place.  Remember to wear a diaper or change of clothes because they are going to make you pee your pants.  I survived my venture through Hacker HouseÖcan you?  Good luck!

NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »

Haunt Name: Hacker House
Date Attended:  10/4/2014
Submitted By: Sissyhaunt

Scare Factor 4/5 Ė If you love to be scared then Hacker House is the haunt for you. They never disappoint and never run out of energy. Everything is designed to assault all of your senses and it is a unique experience every time you go.

Actors 5/5 Ė These are some of the best actors I have encountered at any haunt. They never break character and feed off your fear and take every advantage to give you the most terrifying one of a kind experience around. They come at you from every angle, nowhere is safe. They are in front of you, in back of you, on the ground, in the air, and most you wonít see coming until it is too late.

Set Design/FX/ Prop 5/5 Ė I was worried about the house section because it had collapsed due to the terrible ice storm last winter, but was happy to see that it was repaired. Of course, this meant that the layout was a bit different and we had no idea what to expect.

Length 5/5 Ė It takes about 35 minutes to go through. It seemed a bit shorter this year or maybe we were just faster, either way it is worth it.

Value 5/5 Ė The tickets are $15.00 and for an additional $5.00 you can get a fast pass to get in quicker, although I feel by doing the fast pass you miss out on some of the in line scares. You can purchase your tickets online or on site (cash only). Parking is free at this haunt which I appreciate. This experience is totally worth the price.

Other 5/5 Ė This is worth the drive. It is a must have experience and going more than once is even better.

Overall Impression 5/5 Ė This is not a haunt I would bring children to. I have seen grown adults come out in tears, oh wait that was me lol. It is great for those true haunt loving adrenaline junkies.

NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »

Hacker House
Submitted by: Bethyboo
Visited: 10-04-14

I always approach Hacker house with anticipation because it is always scary.  I was uncertain about what has changed in the Hacker House from 2013 because they did have to rebuild due to an ice storm last year.  The sets were completely different but even more foreboding and dark.  I know the monsters used this to their advantage and I walked through even more cautiously. There were monsters around every corner, and sometimes I saw them and other times I only felt them grabbing my legs, touching my hair, and just the feeling of being followed at times was really scary.   Hacker House is off the main road, and when you drive down the driveway to the attraction, you know this is not your average haunted attraction.  

The actors at Hacker House are very good at scaring people.  This remains true in 2014. There were plenty of times that my legs were grabbed and I didnít see the monster doing it.  These actors are very energetic and love scaring people.  I was impressed how all areas of the haunt had actors and there were no dead spots.  They are very good and sending you in the direction they intend for you to go. They also pop up multiple times throughout the attraction, making it impossible to get away from them.  

Set Design/Props/FX:
The sets are completely different for 2014.  The sets are always scary and dark and now they are set up differently and are really dark in places.  I thought it was very creepy and at times I was afraid to move forward due to the darkness.  It made me feel like I was lost and would never be able to leave this living nightmare.

Length: 5/5:
I think the length of this attraction is perfect at around 45 minutes.  The layout is completely different this year but the length is about the same.   I think 45 minutes is plenty of time with these monsters.  

Value: 5/5:
This haunt is a great value with an admission price of only $15.00*.  They also offer a fast pass for $5.00 extra.  The queue line monsters are quite interesting to converse with. With Hacker House the value far exceeds the price.  I donít think anyone could be disappointed in Hacker House.

Overall Impression: 5/5
This is a great haunted attraction.  I say that because they have everything you could want in a haunted attraction, from originality to intense scares.  All the actors are energetic and excited to have you visit. I believe they would like a few customers to stay with them in the Hacker House permanently!  Hacker House is not to be missed this Halloween season.

*price correction
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:57:01 PM by NCHadmin » Logged
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:30:19 AM »

Hacker House
Date attended:  10-25-2014
Submitted by: krb187

Iíll start this off by saying that I have never once seen my girlfriend scream and run from anything, much less from something at a haunt. That all changed on Saturday night because Hacker House got her worse than I have ever seen before, so for that THANK YOU! That being said they have also knocked off (another haunt) for the haunt that has made me jump the most. Every single member of my group got scared many, many times throughout and there honestly wasnít a point when someone wasnít getting startled. Every aspect of this haunt just works to perfection and the sets, props, and actors are all in a perfect harmony with one another. The sets are extremely detailed and set a very unsettling mood, the props provide the perfect distraction, and the actors completely make the show and will terrify you to the core, and then have you dying from laughter. If you go to Hacker House you are going to be scared and scared often.

Honestly I donít think that calling them actors is really quite accurate, because theyíre not actors. What you see is what you get with these people because thatís really just how they are. They are by far the most believable group around and never break character, mostly because there is no character to break. They are relentless and will come at you from every conceivable angle to make sure that their faces are the ones haunting you nightmares for nights to come, and trust me they will most likely succeed. Kildorkian and Oxana were favorites as always and the industrial actors were hilarious. It was awesome seeing a certain crazed doctor lurking around the line and was a high spot of the night. I have to give a shout out to a guy I donít think Iíve seen before, his name was Garret I believe. He was in the line entertaining people and he was on point the entire time, heís probably the best ad-libbing actor Iíve seen so far this year and never missed a step with the jokes and one liners and had me catching my breath from laughter the entire time I was waiting to get in.

Set Design/Props/FX: 5/5
Unfortunately Hacker House suffered a lot of damage from the snow and ice in the beginning of the year and lost pretty much all of their inside sets, so I was really worrying about whether the sets would be as good this year. I couldnít be happier to say that my fears were put to rest as soon as I stepped inside. The sets this year were on a whole other level from years past and were in my opinion the most detailed of any haunt Iíve been to this year. The initial house was great as always, but the graveyard and swamp scenes were what really blew me away this year. The amount of detail was simply impressive and the skeletons hanging on the spears off in the distance in the swamp/tribal scene were my favorite set piece Iíve seen all season. There is so much to look at that Iím sure I didnít see it all and thatís the real beauty: you could go through multiple times and see something new every time. The costumes and make up were all custom and very well done, no cheap masks here. There isnít an abundance of animatronics but the few they do have are larger than life and very effectively used.

Length: 5/5
Admittedly I do wish Hacker House was longer, but thatís because I enjoy it so much that I donít want it to stop. Iím giving them a 5 because it is a good length and you get your moneyís worth and then some, plus they donít really have any room to expand.

Value: 5/5
Tickets are $15 and thatís a very generous price for the experience you will get. Whether youíre crying from fear or laughter youíll know when you leave that you got every cent worth of your money spent.

Other:
Parking is free and well organized. The driveway may be a bit confusing for first timers but once you get the hang of it itís easily navigated.

Overall: 5/5
Considering the damage they suffered during the winter I was a little worried at what it would be like this year, but I can honestly say that I think it was a blessing in disguise. Hacker House this year was the best it was been since my very first visit in í09. It blew away all my expectations and ended up being the best time Iíve had at a haunt this season, and I donít think that anything will surpass it. Hacker House is canít miss, and whether youíre terrified or dying from laughter one thing is for sure, you will be thoroughly entertained.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: