November 24, 2017, 06:55:00 PM
News: Visit a North Carolina haunt this weekend!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Reaper's Realm- China Grove, NC  (Read 759 times)
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« on: October 18, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »

Reaper's Realm
Date visited: 10/17/15

Scare Factor: 5/5
I've been to a lot of trails so when I find something new I take notice.  Reaper's Realm did that to me multiple times last night.  The house is full of props that leap and vibrate and actors that come from nowhere to elicit your screams.  The scares are often genius in their implementation.  I adore the hallway of doors, the Santa area, the new pit set.....who am i kidding I adore all of it!  Once you survive the house you venture to the completely redone outdoor trail.  The scares outside are a little more hit and miss.  A few of the set scenes fizzled a little but the amazing swinging bridge, the slide, and a burial gag more than make up for any scenes that didn't work well.  Screams, laughs, amazement, and more.

Actors: 5/5
Reaper's Realm has a large number of interactive actors.  The clowns are the most noticeable as they stop your group to play a game or two.  Grandpa, Piggy, et. al. also do some talking with the group.  The pop scare actors do an admirable job both with timing and follow-up.  I don't even know how to describe the one- "no face nurse girl" has some amazing jittery movements and contortions that freak out the most seasoned haunted house goer.  The skeleton with the shovel is gleeful at doing his job.  There are no real bare spots and no one is breaking character.  These guys are on point.

Sets/Props/Fx: 5/5
I guarantee that at some point you will see something you've never seen on a haunted trail before.....probably a lot of things.  The innovation level here is amazing.  I was blown away last year and found that a few changes were made in the house but the entire outdoor trail was redone.  There are a lot of moving props; every where you turn something is vibrating, falling towards you, or otherwise distracting you.  Costumes, in general, are amazing.  The gigantic doll was FREAKY.  Above mentioned "no face girl" was enough to garner gasps from her mask alone.  The 3D is exceptional and trippy while the clowns look the part head to toe.  The pit- the less I say the better but that was a new one for me.  The outdoor trail features a new swinging bridge which is the most terrifyingly awesome thing I've done this year and hey- the slide got me as I didn't see that coming.  Each time you think you've seen it all they pull out a new little trick.  I love, love, love the look, feel, and innovation Reaper's Realm throws at you. 

Length: 5/5
It's worth the wait.  Groups are spaced apart and opening times seem "fluid".  Keep your pants on because once you get inside it's worth it.  Plan on up to 45 minutes to complete the attraction. 

Value: 5/5
Tickets are $15.  For that price you get a two story innovative haunted house PLUS an entire outdoor trail filled with various fun including a crazy bridge, a slide, and another treat I don't even want to divulge.  Honestly they could / should charge more and I don't say that often.

Other:
Free parking.  Concessions were available. 

Overall: 5/5
Last year was my first visit to Reaper's Realm.  I wondered if last year was a fluke.  I had talked it up big to my friends and was hoping I wasn't setting them up for disappointment.  My fears were assuaged early on when my newbie visitors ooooohed and ahhhhhhhed at the props in the house.  Everyone was screaming, running, clapping,  and having a helluva good time.  It's not every day you hear someone say "Help!  I'm being attacked by a Christmas tree!"  The bridge was an amazing addition to the outdoor section.  I spent my entire visit either doubled over in laughter at my screaming friends or wide-eyed staring at the various props, sets, and masks.  It's hard to believe how young this trail is with the top level experience they are putting out.  Check these guys out!!

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: