November 21, 2017, 03:12:48 AM
News: Visit a haunt in South Carolina this season!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Midway Wicked Woods - 2015  (Read 871 times)
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« on: October 19, 2015, 08:42:18 PM »

Midway Wicked Woods
Date attended: 10-18-2015
Submitted by: krb187

Scare Factor:  3/5
Honestly this could have been higher, and probably was for the first couple of people in our group. The reason this is low is because we went through in a group of 6, and considering that we were the only ones in line on a slow night that baffles me. During the trail the group got spread out and even though the actors did their best to interact with everyone itís a hard thing to accomplish with such a large spread out group. Donít get me wrong however, as there are very solid scares at Midway. The trail starts off with an immediate intensity as soon as you take off on the tractor and doesnít let up the entire way through the line, with the clowns making sure that you are as scared as possible before finally letting you out of their grasp. The intensity level doesnít drop throughout the rest of the trail and they make sure to hit you from every angle possible, and change it up to scare you in every way they can think of. Midway Wicked Woods are definitely scary, and screaming_diana being reduced to tears before even entering is a testament to that, but it does kill a lot of the vibe when you can see every scare happening ahead of you.

Actors:  5/5
Anyone who knows anything about Midway Wicked Woods knows this is where they truly shine. The actors here have an intensity level that is off the charts and they are always full of energy and excitement and seem to revel in making people completely shut down from fear. The clowns at the start were amazing as always and had guests running, screaming, and crying from the start. However the level of quality was high across the board and not one actor put in a weak performance from what I saw. Most every actor did their best to interact with everyone in the group at some point and no one seemed satisfied with just a pop scare and nothing more. The monsters here are so believable and have heart for days. Their passion for what they do truly shows through in their performances. Special shout-outs go to Chuckie for having the creepy childlike voice perfect and making sure to follow us throughout the entire area to get every last scream he could, and the large clown from the beginning who was barking orders in a pretty well done accent. He was golden and gave an awesome performance to really kick off the trail on the best foot.

Set Design/Props/FX:  4/5
Midway took a very noticeable step forward with their sets and costumes this year. There were some new, very impressive sets such as the new hospital scene and the expanded 3D area. Also the clown merry-go-round area in the beginning was awesome, and probably my favorite set of the entire haunt. The costumes also got a big upgrade this year, and the level of detail was scores ahead of what there has been before. One thing that comes to mind was the demon girl in the bedroom of the house; I was convinced she was a prop until she moved. The intricacy of her mask and clothing was amazing and one of the coolest things Iíve seen this year. Even though the sets have been upgraded this year Midway still manages to keep that old-school backwoods gore flick vibe that sets the perfect mood for a haunt. The only reason this isnít a 5 is because a few of the sets were empty, and I saw one or two actors who were just wearing hoodies and jeans with a mask on.

Length:  5/5
Midway is one of the longer trails in the area and you definitely get a good workout while on it. They keep things very well-spaced and do their best to use all of the space as effectively as possible. Expect around 30 minutes or so for the actual trip through.

Value:  3/5
Ticket prices have gone up to $22 this year, with fast passes being offered for $29. With better group management and smaller groups Midway would be worth every penny.

Other:
Parking costs $2 but is well organized. They also offer a concession stand at the end of the trail with a full menu made to order and some merchandise available for purchase.

Overall:  4/5
I have to admit that Midway Wicked Woods has a very special place in my heart and has been a staple of my Halloween season for over 10 years now. They always put on an excellent show and are true veterans in the haunt scene, which is why itís so confusing that such a simple mistake like bad group management could happen here, especially when I canít ever remember a time of it being an issue before. Donít get me wrong, I had a lot of fun at Midway Wicked Woods and they did an excellent job,  but throughout my entire trip through I couldnít shake the feeling of how much better it would have been had we been in smaller groups. Either way thatís just this reviewerís humble opinion and Midway Wicked Woods is still an extremely solid haunt. They feature some of the most dedicated actors in the area and it is almost certain that youíll have a great time here. So make sure to make it out to Midway Wicked Woods before the season is over.
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »

Midway Wicked Woods
Submitted By: Screaming_Diana
Date Attended: 10/18/2015

Scare Factor:  5/5
Every year I go to Midway Iím terrified and this year was no different.  The torture begins on the tractor ride to the haunt entrance and doesnít let up until you reach the vortex ending.  Chainsaws may not be that scary to most but I almost froze in fear as multiple clowns surrounded me all the while trying to saw off my feet.  The haunt starts off very intense but does lighten up a bit as the trail goes on.   Itís mostly an outdoor trail with multiple building and sets to walk through.  Our group was 6 deep which was a bit too big for this haunt.  I was near the front of my group so it wasnít an issue for me but I think my friends in the back of the group missed a lot.  So my suggestion is split up in smaller groups for the best experience.

Actors:  5/5
The actors are always good here.  The clowns are extreme in their scares to the point of almost being brutal in their attacks. There were not many actors with speaking parts that I can recall but there was still a lot of actor interaction especially by those insane clowns.  They are an intense bunch to say the least.  The actors were good at holding a scare.  I was near the front of my group and missed several scares but the actors were timing their scares so the back of the group would also have a good experience.  It takes talent to hold a scare and not jump at the first person you see.  With that said I wish our group number had been a touch smaller so everyone couldíve witnessed most of the scares.  After the main clown area most scares were simple pop scares but they were well executed and made me scream every time.  The maze actor or actors got me the most.  I lost all control when, out of nowhere, a monster popped up in the pitch black maze with a flashlight shining on his face.  He was very well hidden and kept amazingly quite while we stomped through trying to find our escape.  The actor numbers were good.  You had to really watch your step because you could easily step on one as they slither across the ground.  I was really startled when my hat was snatched by several actors throughout the haunt but luckily was always returned.  Mask and costumes were hit and miss.  Some of the masks were really good but then Iíd notice the rest of the costume was just a t-shirt and jeans.  The make-up was also hit and miss.  Some actors had on detailed makeup and really cool costumes while others were a bit weak.

Set Design/Props/Fx:  5/5
Midway has some really cool sets and props.  I notice something new every time I go.  I am too scared to look up for a vast majority of the haunt so seeing something new is never an issue for me.  The new clown merry-go-round had me in panic mode right from the start.  Itís a very nice new touch and seemed to help with line management a bit.  The sets are always impressive.  The laser room is always a big scare for me.  I can never tell if Iím standing face to face with a mannequin or a real monster.  They use a lot of animated props that will get very close to you.  A snake popped my friend in the face so beware and proceed with caution around the snakes.  Clown town with the black light 3D looks amazing but was lacking in scares.  The walkthrough without being petrified was nice and I needed a second to catch my breath so there are no complaints from me on their not being much of a scare here.  Honestly I needed the break.   One chainsaw chase led me into this really cool fog tent that I couldnít see to get out of.  Moving coffins, falling walls, unsteadying flooring theyíve got it all.  One of their mazes is made of what looked like wooden pallets.  This worked amazingly well because the actors could stay hidden on the other side and reach through the slats in the pallet unexpectedly.  The black maze is also very well executed.  You could spend a significant amount of time trying to figure out your escape.

Length:  5/5
Midway is a longer outdoor trail.  When you consider the length of the tractor ride, clown show, line entertainment, and the actual trail youíve got a fairly long and exhausting haunt.

Value:  4/5
For $22 Midway is a decent value.  They have discounted tickets for kids and fast pass options available.  Plus you can get $2 off flyers at local stores and restaurants.

Other:
Parking is not free.  It was $2 per car.  Concessions were available for purchase at the end of the trail.

Overall Impression:  5/5
I always start worrying several days prior to my visit to Midway Wicked Woods and with good reason.  The clowns are extreme.  They are some of the most relentless circus freaks youíll ever encounter.  I canít make it off the tractor ride without peeing on myself.  They have the cutest little clown car that buzzes up and down the street but donít be fooled by its cute appearance for whatís inside is pure evil.  Midway is a destination haunt for me each year and will continue to be on my haunt list for upcoming Halloween seasons.  If you hate clowns good luck and if you love clowns you wonít by the end of this trail.
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »

Midway Wicked Woods
Submitted by: packbacker
Date visited: 10/18/15

Scare Factor: 4/5
Midway Wicked Woods consists of an initial hayride that is commandeered by a posse of clowns.  New is a big-top with additional mayhem.  Queue line scares continue if you show fear.  The actual trail starts with an action packed house and then it leads out into the dark woods.  Group sizes this year were larger so a portion of our group missed a significant portion of the scares.  The scares here are an excellent mix of prop based vs actor driven.  The intensity dips after the hayride and initial house.  The 3D area continues to lack any scare- a single actor here could tie the area together. Midway's maze continues to be one of the darkest, best, and most frustrating around. 

Actors: 3.5/5
Something felt different in the woods this year.  The sheer intensity of years past was a bit lacking.  Too often I found actors settling for a pop scare and stopping.  The clowns had less banter and wittiness than years past and seemed to just delight in screaming.  I still laughed at the terror they induced but it felt less organic.  The chainsaw wielding characters on the trail brought their A-game while chasing my friend off the trail into  the trees but others kind of settled for easier scares.  Timing was decent and no one broke character but something just felt  a bit "off".  I don't think it was the number of actors but just a feeling that they were taking their foot off the gas pedal.

Sets/Props/Fx: 4.5/5
Midway Wicked Woods has a unique look/feel to it.  It has the feel of an old school "spook trail" with the wooded setting and ramshackle buildings but then there are a large number or animated props and fun set pieces that gives it the modern vibe.  I adored the new big top addition at the trailhead complete with the kiddy merry-go-round.  The clown car continues to be one of the coolest props around.  The trail has multiple excellent vibrating / pneumatic props with twitching bodies, animated snakes (watch your head!), a long 3D section, but also excellent static props/sets.  The graveyard at Midway is one of the best out there.  Costumes vary from great to lacking- too many actors are in street clothes with a mask or minimal makeup.

Length: 5/5
A solid thirty minute plus trip through the woods, several buildings, a 3D area, and a long maze.  You get a workout traversing through these woods.

Value: 4/5
Ticket prices have been bumped up to $22.  There are $2 discount cards available in the surrounding areas.  It's a premium price for a premium haunt.

Other:
NOT free parking.  Parking is $2 per vehicle.  At the end of the trail is a concessions stand that has packaged goodies but also cook to order items.  The fried oreos were delicious and I justified them by assuming I burnt off enough calories in the woods chasing screaming_diana.

Overall: 4/5
Midway Wicked Woods is a solid haunt that provides a longer trail, some excellent props, and a lot of scares.  On our visit, though, something just seemed a little "off" from years past.  Larger groups, less insane actors, and less interaction from previous visits.  Don't get me wrong- this place still is amazing and the changes to the trail were evident.  Midway exudes the "updated" classic spook trail vibe and still has the baddest clowns in town.  I left smiling and a little sweaty but something I couldn't put my finger on was missing. All of the ingredients were there but it just didn't gel quite properly for that perfect experience. That feeling aside, Midway Wicked Woods is an excellent way to spend an evening.  I laughed, I got thrown around by screaming_diana, I admired a bunch of sets/props, and I watched a young woman cry on a merry-go-round......all the best thing in life!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: