November 20, 2017, 02:12:30 PM
News: Do something scary... go to a Haunted House!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Haunted Graham Mansion - 2016  (Read 630 times)
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« on: October 03, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »

Haunted Graham Mansion
Date Attended:  09/30/2016
Submitted by:  Screaming_diana

Scare Factor:  5/5
The drive up to the Major Graham mansion sets the tone.  The road is long, dark, narrow, and only partially paved.  You get the feeling you're headed to something frightfully great and your feelings will not disappoint you.  The Mansion itself appears eerie as you approach the entrance to the property.  The main house is an actual old civil war mansion that is said to be truly haunted.  That in of itself is terrifying.  Add in props, actors, eerie lighting and sounds and possible real ghost and there's no telling what you'll encounter.  Most haunts do not allow touching by the actors but those rules do not apply here so beware you will be touched which makes this haunt unique and more than a touch scarier. 

Actors:  5/5
While I was terrified a lot and roamed through the haunt with my eyes half shut the actors that I saw had on great costumes and makeup.  I wish I could've gotten a better look at them but every time I tried to look up something or someone was jumping up at me and I'd have to cocoon back into hiding behind my friends.  The actor timing was good and they could easily pick out the chickens in the group.  They are also observant and will pickup on your name if it is mentioned by your group members so tell your friends to keep quiet or you'll be hearing your name echoed throughout the mansion grounds.  They will confuse you.  More than once I thought I was passing a dummy just to be proven wrong the split second I put my guard down.  They have standing still and waiting for the perfect moment to make their attack down to a science.   As mentioned above the actors can and will touch you.  They will grab your feet and arms and you may even feel a light brush of your hair.  I'm still not sure if it's the actors or the ghost inhabitants but either way someone or something is surly to come in contact with you at some point.

Set Design/Props/Fx:   5/5
It's an old civil war mansion.  I'm not sure there could be a better setting.  The mansion itself looks amazing both inside and out.  The sets are detailed and each room has something different.  From grungy old living rooms, bedrooms, nuclear war zones, werewolf dens, gold mines, funeral homes, clown infested barns, zombie invaded towns and so much more they've got something for everyone.  A zombie even tried to eat my brain.  Things aren't always as they seem around here.  Even the props are sometimes alive so always be aware of your surrounds as you never really know who or what might be hiding in the darkness.  Things are well blended and it's often hard to tell what's an actor and what's a prop.  I was chased by a flower.  Seriously chased from one set to another by flowers!  Even the walls come to life at times.  There's the main haunted mansion but it doesn't stop there.  They use the property grounds to their fullest.  You'll go through multiple buildings and even the space between buildings has sets and scares to scurry you along to the next scene.  This is a self guided tour with an easy to follow path.  It's well designed with occasional check points just to keep the line moving and to keep groups from bunching up. 

Length:  5/5
This is a longer haunt with so much to see and take in.  You could probably go through several times and see something new each time.  There are a few steps but for the most part it's an easy haunt to maneuver through. 

Value:  5/5
At $20 a ticket you are getting your moneys worth.  It's a long haunt with lots to see.  If you go early in the season tickets are only $15 per person which is a steal.  You can go back through the haunt as many times as you'd like for half price.  They do accept credit cards at the ticket booth. 

Other:
There is a $5 parking fee per vehicle.  The parking lot is well lit with parking attendants to help you should you have questions.  No children under the age of 8 will be allowed to go through the haunt and children 9-14 must be accompanied by an adult.  They offer concessions, have a souvenir shop, and photo opportunities after you finish the trail.

Overall Impression:  5/5
I was scared throughout most of the haunt, while my trail mates seemed less frightened I think they had equally as much fun as I did.  I screamed while they were doubled over in laughter at my expense but I think even they jumped a few times (although they are men so they'll never admit it).  This place is impressive.   The scares are well timed, well placed, and evenly spaced.  We went very early in the season so the monsters are going to get even more aggressive in their scares as the season goes forward.  The more screams they hear the more pumped they'll likely get and they heard plenty of screams from my group well mainly from me!  Seriously plan a trip to the Major Graham Mansion this October you will not be disappointed. 

NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »

Haunted Graham Mansion
Date visited: 9/30/2016
Submitted by: packbacker

Scare Factor: 4/5
Almost all of the members of our group got a little jumpy at some point during our visit.  Unlike most haunts, the actors can and will touch you at Major Graham's.  The touch is very light but this taboo of most trails makes the visit that much more creepy.  There are some very well hidden scares throughout the haunt as well as a good balance between actor driven, prop driven, and noise related scares.  The maze areas are claustrophobic and in one instance pitch black with a scare or two well disguised inside them.  Even if you aren't easily scared you will be entertained as your friends scream, run, or possibly lose bladder control.  I must admit I giggled as a group of 4-5 teenage boys went running at break-neck speed down the trail after finishing the initial house.  Little did they know they had just started the fun... 

Actors: 4/5
The folks manning this operation are plentiful and solid.  The majority of the actors don't settle for just a pop scare.  Special kudos have to be given to the werewolf actor for his enthusiastic chasing and fantastic howl as well as the zombie policeman who was inspecting heads searching for brains.  A section or two felt a little empty on the actor side- most notably the slaves quarters area and trail of terror.  The initial house as well as the two later enclosed walk-throughs, though, are appropriately staffed with actors with good timing, the ability to prolong the scare, and some decent improv skills.  I should also give a shout-out to the "potion hag" character who talked with our group at length as we mistakenly thought we were supposed to go through her house instead of straight ahead.  Whoops.  She stayed in character the whole time despite running out of things to talk about.  The clown section at the end featured some of the best menacing actors as they would literally pin you in a corner for as long as they wanted to torture you.  Lines were light on the evening we attended so there were no queue line actors to mention but you do encounter a very happy clown outside the security screening area.

Sets/Props/Fx: 5/5
The attraction starts in a real Civil War era mansion that is supposedly haunted.  Seriously it's hard to beat that by itself!  The mansion looks great with subtle lighting on the outside and sprawling grounds.  The interior sets are simple yet effective with often times a classic ghostly feel.  They do a good job with lighting in the mansion to resemble candlelight and that old school feel befitting the old home.  Along the trail is a well done mock up of old storefronts, a maze, and some other set pieces.  The props begin to kick in more with the bloody barn/carnival and psycho/cop areas.  Sets are well detailed and are of a good variety.  The carnival, in particular, is a visual cornucopia with fuzzy walls, tons of creepy stuffed animals, neon paint, and other little treats to disturb your inner child.  Costumes and makeup are solid across the board. 

Length: 5/5
You're going to spend some time at this attraction.  You start in the namesake mansion and then stroll through and outdoor section with various scares and mazes.  All of this is followed by two more full walk-through attractions.  Plan on at least 45 minutes to experience everything Major Graham's has to offer.   

Value: 5/5
The first three weekends of the season this haunt is priced at $15 with the last three weekends seeing a ticket price of $20 per person.  Major Graham's is well worth the $20 ticket price but is an absolute steal at $15 per person.  The website also mentions that re-admission the same evening can be purchased for half off the original ticket price if you want to see what you missed the first time through or just scream some more!

Other:
Parking is $5- cash only.  The access road to the estate is narrow and not paved so drive slow and be on the lookout for other cars.  Concessions are available on site and there is a full gift shop with photo opportunities available. 

Overall: 5/5
As you drive down a dark, bumpy road your car rounds a corner and out of the gloom you see a large mansion in the distance.  Some large gates with imposing lion statues reinforce the notion that yes you really are coming upon a giant old estate.  Then you notice the spooky lighting and some flame bursts and you realize that the powers that be have turned the entire thing into a lovely haunted attraction.  Major Graham's Haunted Mansion is a long attraction jam packed with lots of sets, tons of actors, and a real civil war era mansion that is rumored to truly be haunted.  The scare factor here is strong in general but the actors will lightly touch you so this further ups the game as a spook may run their fingers through your hair in the pitch black.  I continue to be in awe of the mansion itself with slightly gothic sets, creaking floorboards, and ghostly feel.  That's not to say the rest of the attraction is lacking- far from it!  A long trail awaits with even more screams and fun sets to explore.  The touching of patrons extends past the initial house so you are never safe!  Most of the actors, when sensing trepidation, will go for the throat and fully sell the scare.  It seems that every time  you think that must be the end of the attraction you find more scares ahead.  The quality and length of the attraction for the price is hard to be beat.  If you've never been a trip to Major Graham's Haunted Mansion is well worth your time and if you've been before then you know I'm speaking the gospel.  I dare you not to get some goosebumps of anticipation when you first view the mansion in subtle spooky lighting as you first glimpse it along the dark access road...

NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:40:22 PM »

Haunted Graham Mansion
Date attended: 9-30-2016
Submitted by: krb187

Scare Factor:  4/5
The first thing that comes to mind is the fact they can and WILL touch you. While nothing harmful, it is definitely enough to let you know that you’re in for a different kind of experience. Just the setting itself is enough to get the hair on your neck standing up and the actors and props do such a good job of playing off of that. Most of the actors are intense and push far beyond the simple pop scare to make sure that you have been thoroughly scared, creeped out, and definitely entertained. Misdirection is used expertly here and you will find yourself gawking over sets and props only to turn around and find a monster breathing down your neck.

Actors:  4/5
The actors at the Haunted Graham Mansion are true professionals and they know how to get a scare. Most every actor would interact with our group for much longer than the initial ‘pop’ and their impromptu lines had me doubled over in laughter quite a bit. There were a few parts on the trail after the mansion where the intensity dropped off a bit, but this was mostly due to a lack of bodies and not the actors themselves. Special shout outs go to the clowns who tormented a member of our group for a solid five minutes, the police officers in the jail scene, and especially the old hag, who ad-libbed for quite a while without missing a beat when our group didn’t realize we were supposed to keep moving.

Set Design/Props/FX:  5/5
Haunted Graham Mansion is an actual civil war era plantation home, that in itself creates and atmosphere that is almost unmatched. Even the initial drive to the haunt is an old dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The mansion is an impressive sight, and the fact that the attraction starts inside of it is pretty amazing to me. That being said the builders at the haunt have done a spectacular job creating very detailed and immersive areas. Lighting sets the mood perfectly, and there is so much detail that you could go through multiple times and see new things every time. Particularly impressive areas include the graveyard, the hag’s hut, the zombie area, and the clown town.

Length:  5/5
You definitely get your money’s worth at Haunted Graham Mansion. The entire trip takes around 30-45 minutes to complete and includes the mansion itself, a trail the woods, and two more full length walkthroughs in two separate buildings.

Value:  5/5
Early in the season tickets are priced at $15, which is a complete steal for the experience. Later in the season tickets are $20 and that is still more than worth it. They also offer half price re-admission if you just didn’t get enough the first time around!

Other:
Parking is $5 cash only, and the road to the haunt is narrow and can be a little treacherous with multiple cars, so make sure to take care when driving up to it. There are also concessions and a pretty cool gift shop area with photo opps.

Overall:  4/5
This was my very first trip to the Haunted Graham Mansion, and just cresting the hill to see the mansion looming above everything had me in awe. The attraction itself is of the highest order and these guys are true professionals. The scares are plenty, and the contact that occurs takes the experience to an even more intense level. There’s literally something here for everyone and you will find yourself either marveling at beautiful sets, laughing at some hilarious one-liners, screaming and running for safety, or a mix of all three. If you’ve never been to Major Graham’s then you need to make sure to get out there as soon as possible, and for returning customers there is sure to be plenty of new thrills to marvel at. Haunted Graham Mansion is a must see for any haunt enthusiast this season.

NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 03:03:02 PM »

Major Graham's Haunted Mansion
Date Attended: 9/30/16
Submitted by: jonesm

Scare Factor: 4/5
I don't think enough can be said about the mansion being a real historic site when it comes to the scare factor of this haunt.  I mean, one area is called the slaves' quarters, and they aren't referring to anything in the haunt!  This place has some real skeletons in its closet.  And that dose of the genuine adds to each room and scene throughout the haunt.  Beyond that, Major Graham's is a real treat for the frightseeker.  It has nooks are crannies, surprising scares and plenty of both outdoor and indoor portions of the trail.  You know you're in for a treat when, while waiting to go into the house, you see the punk teenage boys who were annoying you in line come busting ass out of the first house screaming like their voices might change at any minute!

Actors: 4/5
One of the great features of this haunt is that the actors can (and will!) touch you as you go.  Many trails either don't do this at all or make it into a special thing, so I appreciate them just matter of factly making that the rule.  The actors are well trained and really seem to think through the perfect moment to launch the scare rather than just popping as soon as you enter the room.  Lots of good is-that-guy-real-or-just-a-mannequin moments.  Special notice to the hag, we thought she'd move out of our way but really we just didn't leave her area for like 5 minutes.  She (who I think was actually a he) rolled with it the whole time, never broke character or even seemed annoyed that we just wouldn't leave for a while.  Quality work!  Oh, and I guess I should apologize to the werewolf I thought was a bear.  He howled to show how offended he was…sorry dude, you were on all fours when I saw you, bear was just where my mind went, but it was no reflection on your were-skills!

Set Design/Props/FX: 5/5
This place would be creepy with the lights off if there were no sets at all, but there are a ton of great touches throughout.  The silhouetted statues in the graveyard, the police station, all the mannequins…top notch across the board.  OH, and there's a hallway with furry walls!  That's a 5 in my book right there!

Length: 5/5
Major Graham's is really long.  There are 3 full-sized buildings plus a number of temporary mazes and things, plus several lengthy outdoor portions.  I'd say the whole thing should take you close to an hour.  Really good length, and well above average in that regard.

Value: 5/5
The length plus the historic feel plus the quality at every turn make this a no-brainer 5/5.  Top notch value, it's a little surprising they don't charge more than they do!

Overall: 4.5/5
The location is a spook trail dream, the actors are skilled and well trained, the sets are great, the length is fantastic.  This, my fellow frightseekers, is what you're looking for.  There are real scares and lots of fun surprises throughout, and I would give this my highest recommendation.  From the first creaking door as you enter the first house, I know you won't be disappointed with this one!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: