November 19, 2017, 12:58:08 PM
News: The Screaming Season is Here!  Visit a Featured Haunt and Enjoy!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Haunted Mill - 2016  (Read 408 times)
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« on: October 21, 2016, 07:42:31 AM »

Haunted Mill
Date Attended:  10/20/2016
Submitted By: Screaming_diana

Scare Factor:  5/5
It's always great to walk up and see people chickening out before even starting the trail.  I went with two friends and we were paired with two other guys to start the trail but just as we started to enter the trail the actor split us up and sent us through in a small group of just three.  It was terrifying going through with just these two friends.  We got so much actor attention I could barely breath by the end.  There were monsters and animatronics coming at us from all directions.  I didn't make it past the first medical scene without urine dribbling down my legs.  It's an intense haunt with some very relentless actors.  I was so scared I held onto my friends back until the end at which point I was surrounded and chased through the exit by monsters with very loud chainsaws.  Scariest visit to Haunted Mill ever!

Actors:  5/5
Actor numbers were perfect and their costumes and make-up looked great but their performance is what made Haunted Mill great this year.  The timing of their scares was impeccable.  They didn't just pop out at the first sign of a groups appearance but waited until the perfect moment to make their move.  A few times I thought something was a prop only to witness it leaping out and charging toward the group.  They give you just enough time to let your guard down and feel you're safe to make their attack.  There timing truly was superb.  The hospital patient with speaking parts who initially leads you into the haunt does a phenomenal job playing his part.  He made me second guess whether I wanted to continue through the haunt.  He seemed so realistic it made me a bit uneasy.  The clown crawling around in the stripped hallway was super creepy with his head twisted around and crawling around all over the floor.  Speaking parts were delivered with ease and the timing of scares was insanely accurate. 

Set Design/Props/FX:  5/5
Every square inch of the space they use is decorated with extreme detail.  I'm sure there's a lot I missed while hiding my eyes but everything I did see looked amazing.  The dim lighting down the narrow hallway is one of my favorite scenes here.  I was also impressed with the brightly colored clown room until the clowns showed up and scared the pee outta me.  The medical scene with the bloody walls and realistic x-rays make you feel like you've just walked into a hospital that's experience a massacre just moments before your arrival.  Oh and the sounds the creepy creepy sound of a heartbeat as we walked further and further from the entrance is a great touch to the whole medical theme.  I also really liked how they created an almost spiral effect with black and white stripes down a long hallway.  The clown actor in this room was awesome and added a creep factor to the scene.  They use a lot of animatronics that will launch themselves just inches from your face.  Props and mannequins were used as decoys throughout the haunt.  A well placed prop would distract the group and help pave the way for the actor to jump in a make his scare.  It worked every time. 

Length:  5/5
The Haunted Mill seemed longer this year than in years past.  It's not a super long haunt but I was exhausted and ready for a break by the end. 

Value:  4/5
Tickets are $16 per adult and $12 per kid.  Parking is $3.  I think the trail is definitely worth the ticket price but paying for parking when you're only there 20 minutes seems a bit steep.  However we had a great time and would go back even with the parking charge.

Other:
The Haunted Mill is an indoor haunt so they are open rain or shine.  They also have Indoor 3D blacklight mini golf.  Combo tickets can be purchased for $20 to do the haunted mill, mini golf, and go through a spinning vortex.

Overall Impression:  5/5
Haunted Mill is a haunt my group tries to attend every year and this year was the best year yet.  Going through in small groups increases the scare factor tremendously and gives the actors plenty of time to harass and interact with every member of the group.  I loved the added length of the haunt and new creepy sets they've added but the actors are what impressed me the most.  They knew exactly how and when to produce a scare.  I screamed so much I caused the monsters to chuckle as I left their set.  They were having a great time scaring the pee outta me.  I would highly recommend adding the Haunted Mill to your list of haunts this season.  I was extremely impressed with their changes and performance on our visit.
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:12:55 PM »

Haunted Mill
Date attended: 10-20-2016
Submitted by: krb187

Scare Factor:  5/5
Timing, timing, timing. This is one of the most important aspects to an effective scare and these guys have it down to a science. The actors always seemed to be popping out at just the right time and usually from where you would least expect them. However they made sure to get in plenty of follow up after the initial jump scare and many of them followed us through multiple sets. Screaming_diana was certainly living up to her name and this seemed to fire up the actors even more. Before we even got into the haunt itself we saw one person completely chicken out and then two teenage guys we were grouped with refused to go in the front, at which point they were promptly sent through by themselves. Haunted Mill was hitting all the right notes this year and is definitely the most intense I’ve ever seen it.

Actors:  5/5
Haunted Mill really hit the jackpot with its actors this year and there was certainly plenty of them. The Mill felt full and the energy level of the monsters within never dropped off once. They made sure to fully interact with every member of the group and would relentlessly torment the one who was most scared. Names were utilized very well and we were barely inside when screamin_diana’s name was being spread throughout the entire building. As I said before timing was perfect and you could tell the actors have fallen into their flow. A special shout out has to go the mental patient Syke, his opening monologue was amazing and the amount of interaction that he had with our group was seriously impressive. That doesn’t short change the rest at all though, as every actor here was in top form.

Set Design/Props/FX:  5/5
Simply put, the Haunted Mill looks outstanding. Every inch of the place is built up with an astonishing amount of detail which means there is always something to look at. Some of the sets such as the old mansion type interior, the graveyard, and the hospital scenes are down-right beautiful and at times you completely forget that you’re inside of a warehouse building on the side of busy road in Belmont. There are some ingenious props as well, with an Exorcist style girl being perhaps the most effective. All of the costumes were great as well, and one expertly disguised actor had a member of my group running and screaming ‘It’s alive!’ after his reveal. The sets at Haunted Mill are great and do exactly what they’re meant too: immerse you into a world outside of your own.

Length:  5/5
The Haunted Mill was the longest this year that it ever has been and knowing that they have limited space to use being a completely indoor haunt the length felt very satisfying. You move at the perfect pace and that really helps get the most out of every inch of space.

Value:  4/5
Tickets are $16 for adults and $12 for kids. The ticket price is an absolute steal for the experience I got. The only thing keeping this from being a 5 is that having to pay $3 to park seems a little weird for a shorter haunt.

Other:
Parking is $3 and the Haunted Mill also includes a pretty cool looking 3D mini golf and an arcade area. Combo tickets for the mini golf and Mill itself can be purchased for $20.

Overall:  5/5
The Haunted Mill has found out the formula that works perfect for them and it was definitely showing on our trip through. From the moment you round the corner of the warehouse and see a huge guy in straight jacket walking towards you, to when you come out of the carnival at end, you’re being scared and most importantly entertained. The overall flow of the haunt is flawless and the intensity of the actors brings the entire experience full circle. You’re guaranteed to have a great time at the Haunted Mill and I can’t recommend a trip out there enough.
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »

The Haunted Mill
Date visited: 10/20/2016
submitted by packbacker

Scare factor: 5/5
The Haunted Mill was hitting on every single cylinder the night we visited.  We went through as a small group and the scares started right away.  A lot of the Mill's sets are small rooms so there is nowhere to run when the actors accost you.  The scares are often well disguised and the actors have excellent timing; you are often wondering if a prop is static or a person....and the results yield a lot of screaming.  The scares are mostly actor oriented but a few prop scares are mixed in to even things out.  It's tight, it's intense, and it's a heckuva lot of fun. 

Actors: 5/5
The Haunted Mill has a solid number of actors- no bare spots were noticed.  In past visits we've caught folks breaking character or with timing issues....not any more.  Everyone here was hitting their marks with expert detail.  Timing was impeccable and the actors didn't hesitate to pursue the scare...especially when long hallway sets were utilized.  Special mention needs to be given to "Psychosis" who is the first actor you meet outside of the queue line.  This gentleman had his schtick down pat and had you fully believing that he had escaped from a local mental institution as he wheeled his own gurney while muttering gibberish.  He's an excellent introduction to the rest of the mill.

Sets/Props/Fx: 5/5
The Haunted Mill has excellently decorated sets.  In some places there is gore floor to ceiling with various body parts or corpses strewn about the room. Other areas are more subtle but all have good detail.  Actors all had adequate costumes- there are no cheap masks paired with jeans here.  At one point we were remarking about a cool monster prop with gaping mouth full of teeth...only to have it charge at us.  There are also some animatronics/pneumatics here that will catch you off guard and give you a startle. 

Length: 3/5
The Haunted Mill is a quick experience.  Outside of queue lines you will be done within about 15 minutes.  The Haunted Mill expanded last year and they seem to be utilizing every single scrap of available space. 

Value: 3.5/5
Tickets are $16 but a coupon can be found on the haunted mill website.  While the scares are jam packed, the total visit is on the short side.  When you add in a new parking fee and it starts to feel more expensive than it should. 

Other:
Parking is $3.  The Haunted Mill also offers black light mini golf which looks great but we've never tried. 

Overall:  4.5/5
This is probably the best incarnation I've ever seen of The Haunted Mill.  Longer, scarier, intimate groups, and excellent haunt eye candy all make The Haunted Mill an excellent choice to visit in the Charlotte area.  As chainsaws chased a friend of mine out of the exit I just had to grin from ear to ear recalling what I had just seen. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: