November 22, 2017, 01:33:56 PM
News: Visit a North Carolina haunt this weekend!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Myers Haunted House - East Flat Rock, NC  (Read 325 times)
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« on: October 25, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »

The Myers Haunted House
Date visited: 10/7/2016

Scare Factor: 4/5
Proclaimed by screaming_diana to be the scariest trail we've done to date, The Myers Haunted House doesn't pull any punches.  The house is dark, dingy,
cramped, and the perfect setting for a haunted house.  We went through as a group of two and the sense of impending dread was hanging like a cloud room to
room.  The Myers House focuses on mainstream horror characters- namesake Michael, Jason, Freddy, Leatherface et al with some other scenes set up here or
there.  The big guys all make their appearance in traditional fashion- most impressively Mr. Voorhees literally busting through a door.  Scares are actor
driven almost completely but they work well given the small space you occupy as they chase you. 

Actors: 3.5/5
There's not a lot of verbal interaction between the actors and guests but then again Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, and Leatherface never did talk....  Jason
and Leatherface stole the show here while Michael and Freddy seemed much more subdued.  There was a  bare spot or two where it appeared someone was missing. 
Non horror stalwart characters also did an admirable job selling the scare. 

Sets/Props/Fx: 4/5
Indoors but old school.  The Myers Haunted House features a lot of really cool lighting.  Hallways are narrow and scenes are individually themed and often
separated by one another with doors.  There are no big props here but the simplicity of it works well.  Jason's set is appropriately decorated with his
mother's head.  Costumes and makeup all look good.   

Length: 3/5
It's a shorter house but honestly they can't fit more inside the location.  It leaves you wanting more but to their credit I'm not sure where you'd put another
actor, scene or prop unless the outdoor section was enlarged.

Value: 5/5
Tickets are $12 per person or $10 with a ticket stub from Tormented Nightmares. It's a smaller, shorter haunt but it's jam packed with fun visuals and scares. 
If it wasn't such a long drive this would be a can't miss on my annual October planning.

Other:
Free parking!  It's been a few years since I was able to visit and the parking area is new.  You used to just park in the driveway or along a residential
street- now there is a designated parking lot.  Concessions were available on site.   

Overall: 4/5
I love this place.  The drive in itself is scary with a sign letting you know you're leaving state maintained roads.  You drive down a poorly lit street and
arrive at The Myers Haunted House.  There is no big fašade, queue actors, or anything pretentious.  This is an old school haunted house.  All your favorite
horror characters make an appearance and the ramshackle feel is endearing yet frightening.  We hit them up on an off night (apparently multiple actors out) but still had an amazing time.  I was digging the retro decorations while screaming_diana was..........screaming a lot.  It's a fantastic smaller haunt in western North Carolina.

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: