November 24, 2017, 06:07:43 AM
News: Join FrightSeekers for the inside info on haunts!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Camp Fear - 2017  (Read 156 times)
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« on: October 08, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »

Camp Fear
Date attended: 10/07/2017
Submitted by: k2quiere

Scare Factor: 4.5/5
I must admit this was much better than the previous times I have visited, which was a pleasant surprise. The asylum had so much more going on than simply screaming children that I really enjoyed my time in there and got a couple of startles.

Actors: 4.75/5
I really liked that many of the actors this time had their own character, and they were able to hold that character. It's been a few years since I have been here, and I can really tell they have upped their game in terms of the acting. The theme characters were also great!

Set Design: 5/5
I loved the Alice in Wonderland theme. It set the haunt apart from others and raised my overall impression from what it had been on previous visits. There were sets for each of the iconic elements of the story and characters to match. I loved the flower faces in the woods. They were both fascinating and creepy. The floor of the Fun House had awesome 3-D effects! I love when haunts pay attention to the ground as well as the walls. The escape room was a great addition, although it felt a little long and caused a slight pile-up of the groups. I liked the dark maze as well.

Value: 4.5/5
I don't know if I would be willing to pay $20 for this haunt, but going on their canned-food drive nights where you get in for half price for bringing canned food is more than worth it. Even $15 is a great value.

Length: 5/5
The length felt just right this year. Even though my group was in a rush to get two haunts in the night we were there, we didn't feel rushed through the haunt. In fact, the actors took their time with us.

Other:
I always appreciate the free hot beverages in the barn before and/or after the haunt.

Overall Impression: 4.75/5
Much improved over previous visits. I really appreciated the new theme, and it worked so well. I'm glad it was carried throughout the haunt.
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »

Camp Fear
Date visited:  10/7/2017
Submitted by:  packbacker

Scare Factor: 4/5
Camp Fear is a lot of fun.  The scares are sometimes hit and miss but I did thoroughly enjoy our trip.  The hayride has added a little scare factor to it which is a nice change.  The first few scenes were a bit perplexing as they were empty but things picked up the further we proceeded down the rabbit hole.  The majority of the scares were actor driven as the props are more decoration than actual scare inducing.  Despite some chainsaw issues we had a few members running early on when it did rev up to life.  The heaviest scares were in the asylum area (or is it the Red Queen's lair?).  The escape rooms were problematic in the past but were more effective this year.  It sort of breaks up the flow and ratchets down the scares but it is highly entertaining.  The maze area also deserves high marks.  It's dark, twisty, and has a hidden surprise that made many of our group members scream.     

Actors: 3.5/5
The disclaimer for this section is that we attended the second night Camp Fear was open this season.  I generally find that actor effectiveness increases dramatically as the season progresses.  That being said the actors at Camp Fear run the gamut from excellent to a bit lackluster.  The addition of an actor to the hayride section was much appreciated and he did a good job starting the scares and laughs.  The Caterpillar is always an amusing way to start the trail as she has some witty conversations with the patrons while detailing Alice's story.  The first few sets/scenes were completely bereft of actors which was quite an odd way to start a trail.  The numbers pick up, though, in the asylum area.  One gentleman here continually made a bizarre vomiting like sound that was creepy, effective, and funny all at the same time.  A special nod should also be given to Bubbles the Clown for his enthusiasm.  The remaining actors are a bit of a mixed bag.  All of them are enthusiastic to scare people but timing and the ability to "sell" the scare are sometimes lacking.  After the first few sets the numbers are more than adequate.

Props/Sets/Fx: 4/5
Camp Fear embraces the Alice in Wonderland theme in a majority of their sets.  Playing cards, the red queen, the mad hatter, a genuinely freaky rabbit, grotesque toadstools, and more are all well depicted throughout the trail leading to a cohesive theme and the feel that you are running through the actual story.  It's a nice change of pace from a lot of trails that hodge-podge together various scenes.  Props aren't generally elaborate but they don't need to be in this setting.  Sets are fairly spartan save for the clown area and the escape rooms.  The clown area has some fun 3D elements and the escape rooms have been improved as well.  The costumes related to the Alice theme are quite well done; Freddy Kreueger as the Mad Hatter always makes me smile.  Some beautiful laser work,  a sparking glove, and an electrocution chair round out the bigger props.

Camp Fear takes quite awhile to complete.  It took us between forty five minutes and an hour between the hayride and the trail.  Allow plenty of time to account for the pre hayride wait and the attraction as well.  The trail also includes an up to ten minute escape room experience. 

Value: 3.5/5
The base ticket price is $20.  Groups of 10 or more can get $15 tickets and opening weekend is half off with canned food donations.  Ticket prices feel a bit high for the experience as this is more in line with area $15 trails.  You're still going to get a long, amusing trail just without as many tight scares for that ticket price. 

Other:
Free parking!  Camp Fear continues to offer complimentary coffee and hot chocolate which is an excellent perk on those chilly October nights. Other concessions are available for purchase and there's a bonfire at the initial staging area.  Also full bathrooms (not Porta-Potties) are available a short walk from the ticketing area.

Overall: 4/5
Camp Fear continues the Wonderland theme this year.  I find it delightful to have a mostly cohesive trail as you follow the story the deeper you go into the woods.  The sets well depict the associated story with occasional halloween twists for the fear factor.  It delivers a hayride, a long winding trail, a full escape room and more.  Scares are hit and miss but if you're not afraid I truly believe you will be fully entertained.  So get you a free cup of cocoa, warm yourself by the fire, and follow that freaky, freaky rabbit through the deep, dark woods at Camp Fear this season!
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »

Camp Fear
Date Attended: 10/07/2017
Submitted by: Screaming_Diana

Scare Factor:  4/5
Camp Fear has made some big changes in their haunt over the past two years and I love it.  The haunt is Alice in Wonderland themed and they do a very good job of making the haunt focused on that theme.  There are things not related to Alice in Wonderland but for the most part it all ties together.  I am usually so terrified at a haunt that I can barely enjoy it but the scares here were spaced out and less intense.  It was refreshing to be able to actually open my eyes and see the wonderful sets and props.  Now don't get me wrong I jumped and screamed more times than I can count but between jumps and screams I was able to admire the scenery around me.  Camp Fear is different than most haunts in that it is theme centered and has a good mix of fun and fear.  The wagon ride is another change this year. It's not just a people mover anymore.  You might find yourself in the midst of something scary on your ride to the trail top.

Actors:  4/5
The actors were having a great time and I could sense their enthusiasm.  Costumes ranged from dark shirts and simple masks to detailed makeup and full costumes.  There were many kid actors which takes away from the scares a bit but walking by a five year old yelling "die" is kinda creepy.  We encountered many kids wishing us to die here.  They might have been a couple actors short the night we were there because the first house was completely empty but I didn't notice any bare spots anywhere else on the trail. Bubbles, the flying clown, was my favorite actor by far.  He was so jolly and completely thrilled to give us all a Halloween gift of 3D glasses. Most scares were pop scares but I was stalked and harassed a few times.  I even had my hair stroked a couple times.  I loved hearing the actors whisper "tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock" as we walked by.  It was eerie and fit the theme perfectly.  The actors in the escape room were super helpful and really wanted people to solve the puzzle before it was too late.  We failed, but only by a few seconds, and as a result a chainsaw wielding fella barged in and sent us running out of the room.  Of course I can't forget to mention the hookah pipe caterpillar.  She is phenomenal and always a fun character to listen to.  The trail would not be the same without her. On our journey through wonderland I met the evil White Rabbit, Freddy the Mad Hatter, The Red Queen, and I heard a lot about the Slithy Toves but I'm not sure I ever met one. I also encountered several clowns and many other odd and unusual creatures.   

Set Design/Props/FX:  4/5
I can't say enough positive things about the revamp of the trail from a couple years ago.  I love the theme and the fact that it's fairly consistent throughout the trail.  The caterpillar tells the story of your upcoming adventure and warns you of your possible fate.  Then she sends you off with your group to wonderland.  The first house, while bloody and smelly, was vacant of actors or scares.  However after the initial house there was plenty to see, fear, and enjoy. The colorful toadstools added some delightful charm to the trail and were a personal favorite addition for me.  The ground isn't always what it seems so watch your step or you might find yourself on the ground.  There is an escape room about mid trail that allows you 10 minutes to escape.  We had two choices; find clues to unlock our friends and the combination to the door that would set us free or solve a wooden egg puzzle.  We failed but only by a few seconds.  Later our group was split up into two smaller groups and we were sent though a pitch dark maze and during our attempt to find the end our feet were occasionally grabbed by whatever was dwelling within this maze.  They also have a fun 3D clown house where we met Bubbles, the coolest flying clown in the world.   

Length:  5/5
I think we spent around 2 hours here.  The trail itself is long but add in the wagon ride, the Caterpillars tales, the escape room, and the divided group maze and you've got yourself a very long adventure.   

Value: 4/5
Tickets are $20 per person.  That price seems a little high for the trail but it's a lot of fun, offers lots of scares, and will keep you entertained for hours. Go hang out for a while by the fire and enjoy time with your friends while you wait your turn.  Parking is free.

Other:
Enjoy some complimentary hot chocolate or coffee while you wait or order something else to drink or eat.  They had lots of food options available for purchase.  There are photo ops under the shelter by the ticket sales and a fire pit to warm your hands and hangout with friends.  There are campground bathhouses available if needed.

Overall Impression:  5/5
I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Camp Fear this year.  This is the nicest trail around.  The staff is super friendly and they offer complimentary hot chocolate and coffee for you to enjoy while you wait.  That's pretty nice but on top of that they also offer free hot chocolate and apple cider to help warm you at the trails end, if you survived and made it out of wonderland.  The trail was frightfully delightful and stayed with the Alice in Wonderland theme through most of the trail.  It's a fantastic change for this trail and I can't wait to see how they continue to improve it each year.  We went on opening weekend during misting rain and they put on a great show but I bet it gets even better as the season moves forward and hopefully the rain moves away.  If you haven't been to Camp Fear you're missing out and if you have been you need to go again because you'll notice some pretty cool changes.  I had a great time here but that rabbit almost caused me to need a change of pants.  He's one terrifying bunny rabbit!
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »

Camp Fear
Date Visited: 10/7/17
Submitted by: mjones

Scare Factor: 3/5
There have been some major league upgrades all around at Camp Fear, and I heartily approve!   It's always been more on the family side of haunts, but the Wonderland theme throughout the trail really played to its strengths.  Better actors and sets helped as well, much better scares overall.

Actors: 3.5/5
The actors were much more into it this year than in the past, and I really enjoyed being able to interact with the monsters throughout the trail.  I really like the Caterpillar and particular notice to Bubbles the Clown, who stole the whole trail for me!

Props/Sets/FX: 4/5
The sets are much more complex and the Wonderland theme throughout the entire trail was a welcome thing as well.  I thought this was where the biggest impact could be felt from the upgrades.  Really good, old school work here.

It takes a good while!  There's an full fledged escape room stuck in it, plus the wait for the hayride can take a bit as well.

Value: 3/5
At $20 I'd have to say the ticket price is a bit high, but it feels longer now, plus there's the escape room addition, which I thought was really well executed and adds a lot to the experience.

Overall: 4/5
Camp Fear is just a lot of fun every year for me!  As I said, it's on the family end of the spectrum, and the down home county fair feel of the the whole thing is really great.  The hot chocolate is also such a friendly gesture. Really enjoyed the Wonderland theme, and of course Bubbles!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: