November 19, 2017, 09:09:14 PM
News: Visit a North Carolina haunt this weekend!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tormented Nightmares  (Read 55 times)
MrBones

« on: October 11, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »

Tormented Nightmares
Black Mountain, NC

Date Visited: 10/7/17

Scare Factor: 3-3.5/5
 This haunt has its high and lows, but the scares aren't as plentiful as I would have liked. Most actors did a great job of timing their scares at the right times. The problem is there just isn't enough. Some scares needed to be more than just looking at you as you pass by and in general there just are not enough actors to give you enough scares.

Actors: 3.5-4/5
 The actors overall did a great job of keeping their characters and trying for the best scare. Most followed you into adjoining rooms and kept after you. There were a few though that did bare minimum or if they felt they missed the chance to scare they just stood there. At one point two actors were in their room just chatting to each other, only getting into position after it was too late then not trying for any scare. The pirate that leads you to the haunt was a good touch and added some nice humor to entertain rather than just letting you walk down empty hallways.

Set Design/Props/FX: 4/5
  I was surprised with the quality of the sets in this haunt. This is a perfect example of don't judge a book by its cover. The haunt is located inside a warehouse type of building, which to me made the entire thing a little odd. When you begin and wait in line, you get the feeling this is going to be a small, home-made haunt. The entry is a house fašade that seems like it should be a backdrop for a school play. But once you enter, the sets are actual very nice. Some rooms have some of the best sets I have seen this haunt season. There are some very unique props and sets here. Some rooms need better lighting to help the scenery pop, but the further you get in, the better the rooms look.

Length: 3/5
  To me, the length of this haunt is the most disappointing factor. Apart from the wait to get in, the who haunt may have only taken about 10 to 15 minutes at most. I think if this haunt was longer, it would benefit tremendously. More length and actors would solve a lot of the low points here. What they have is very good, but there is not enough. 

Value: 3.5/5
  Tormented Nightmares is $15, which is not bad given most haunted houses are higher than this these days. However. I feel that this haunt should be more around the $10 mark. There are some nice sets and Halloween fun here, but for the length and what you get, I think $15 is getting a little on the high side. There is no midway or anything going on outside the haunt to reel you in and I did not see any concessions or such available either (besides shirts for sale at the ticket booth).

Other: Parking is free. Also, since this haunt is entirely inside, it makes for a nice option on a rainy evening when other haunts may be closed.

Overall Impression: 3.5/5
  This haunt has some potential, but I feel it needs something more. The short length of the haunt is its biggest downfall. If you are driving a long distance, you will definitely want to visit another nearby haunt also to make the trip worth it. There are some great sets and some good scares here, but it could use a few more actors and some better lighting. They do not use high dollar props that others use, but what they have is unique and fits very well with their rooms. I think the addition of some concessions and actors/lighting outside the haunt would help raise up the excitement. I think this is a haunt that you should check out if in the area, but it does not feel like one that you would go out of your way to visit more than once or one that you should drive very far out of your way to see.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: