November 25, 2017, 06:13:05 AM
News: Visit a haunt in South Carolina this season!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Night Watch- Hillsville, VA  (Read 56 times)
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« on: October 18, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »

Night Watch  Hillsville, VA

Date visited:  10/14/2017

Scare Factor: 4/5
I think for most folks on our trip this was a solid 5.  I was in the back of the group so I missed a fair amount but there is no respite from the moment you enter the door until when you leave.  Tight spaces, intense actors, some touching, and you have good execution all around.  For a cheaper haunt this place does not skimp on trying to scare you or feature a lot of black plastic and kid actors.  We had a lot of running, raised heart rates, and although it wasn't admitted probably a little bit of pee escape.   

Actors: 4/5
The queue line actors are a hoot.  They will startle guests but also make you laugh.  One particular lady was on stilts nearly running through the parking lot.  Inside the attraction there is no let up.  Lots of screaming, grabbing, and well timed pop scares were found.  One particular actor was wedged between the jail and the exterior wall in a crazy contortion and forced you to walk underneath them.  Creeeeeeeeeepy.  The setup doesn't allow for a lot of pursuit in the scares but when possible these guys will keep after you.  Intense may be the best way to describe the folks who work here...

Props/Sets/Fx: 4/5
I'll be honest that I didn't see a lot as our group was moving quickly fleeing from room to room.  What I did see, however, looked quite impressive.  Sparking gloves, an execution area, a laboratory with glowing solutions, and more all await inside.  Outside I just adore the fan blades made of body parts.  A cute, gory touch that makes crazy people like me smile.  Makeup and costumes were well done.  I'd love to go through again at a slower pace to take it all in and get a better feel for sets/props but when the chicken people run you gotta keep up....

Length: 3/5
It's ten to fifteen minutes in length and it leaves you wanting more.  Factoring in the location and the price, though, they are delivering all they should and then some.

Value: 5/5
Tickets are $10 with an option to go through a second time for $5 more.  I've done an inordinate number of ten dollar trails this year and this one blows them all away.  It's not even close.  Night Watch is limited by it's setting as the jail is not large but they pack in as much as humanly possible through the two story building.  The sets and scares they deliver for a ten dollar price tag is quite impressive. 

Other:
Free parking.  The attraction can be a bit hard to find.  Mill Street is almost alley like and there's not a huge amount of light for the street sign.  A small sign says "Haunted Jail" out by Main Street- that's where you want to turn. 

Overall: 5/5
My first visit to Night Watch several years ago was underwhelming and frustrating.  It was the first night they were open and there were some big issues.  I've still visited the Labor Day Blackout even each year and enjoyed it so we put their full experience back on the schedule this year and I'm so glad we did.  The exterior of Night Watch is an imposing actual old jail.  Queue actors do a great job of warming you up and there was even a creepy old time band this year strolling through the parking lot....a first in all my travels.  Once you enter the haunt, it is on.  These guys don't go half speed.  Actors are a bit maniacal and appear from all sorts of places.  The only dead area are the steps (good thing!)- otherwise it's relentless.  I also believe it's more adult oriented.  A sign at the ticket booth mentioned language and touching of guests so buyer beware.  Night Watch fired on all cylinders and delivered a fantastic start to our evening for a bargain basement price!

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
k2quiere
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »

Night Watch 10/14

Before I even start my review, I just have to say I was thoroughly entertained before they even opened the doors to the first victims...er...guests!

Scare Factor: 5/5 Like I said, I was thoroughly entertained, occasionally skeeved out (Thank you, spider room), and startled in some of the most awesome ways. Even without the big scares, I thought it was awesome!

Actors: 5/5 The actors were some of my favorites. I loved the birdman and the musicians at the entrance. The actors inside who were hanging from the walls were amazing contortionists. The girl on stilts was awesome. I'm still not sure how she got through the doorways without knocking herself out!

Set Design: 5/5 Inside haunts are either a hit or a miss when it comes to sets because you never quite know from the outside how much space they're working with or how well they will use the space. Night Watch used their space very well. We were upstairs and downstairs, turned around in rooms, and there was constantly something to look at, even in the stairways. It all began with the entryway and the fan of body parts and old-timey inmate trying to escape from the second floor.

Value: 5/5 This haunt was $10 well spent. We drove over an hour to get there, and I would drive it again!

Length: 4.5/5 It was short and sweet by action packed with sensory manipulation all over the place. I wanted it to last longer, but only because I enjoyed it so much!

Overall Impression: 5/5 They made such good use of the lighting and flooring and fog. Everything was just right! And can I simply make mention of the burning man. I stood in awe watching because I could not figure out whether or not he was actually putting his face in the fire...phenomenal!

K2
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: