November 22, 2017, 04:27:19 AM
News: The Screaming Season is Here!  Visit a Featured Haunt and Enjoy!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: *Haunt Reviews*  (Read 25174 times)
Karmakrazy13
Completely Haunted

Frightseeking Since 2007

« on: October 02, 2007, 10:12:33 AM »

If you have been to any haunt this season listed on the site or not, tells us all about it here.

You can run, but you cannot hide
Slappy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »

Okay, first official review.

Last night my girlfriend and I went to Hacker House.  First I want to thank Cliff (the owner) for going out of his way to show us a good time.  And I actually got to meet a fellow Monster Tour winner, Isabella. 

Now for the actual review.  First, the atmosphere was awesome.  Lots of fog, plenty of people walking around and interacting with you while waiting in line, and Vash (sp?) was awesome. 
The Hellevator rocked.  Very good addition that wasn't there the last time I visited, and very cool.  There were portions both inside and outside, and all were very good.  Let me just say that the smell in the room with all the body parts was...well...right on.  It actually made me slightly nauseous.  I liked the bathroom scene, the swamp scene, and two  girls, one dressed as a Voodoo priestess (or witch doctor) and one dressed as the nurse from "Silent Hill" were incredible.  A lot of great costumes, was well as interesting characters and personalities there.  The maze can actually get a bit disorienting, but there was always someone there to "point" us in the right direction.  Good use of props, air cannons, lighting (or lack thereof), smells, fog and distinct personalities.

All in all we had a great time and I would definitely recommend it!

Next time, just make sure I get to see the electrocution...lol
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »

Hey Slappy,

Doesn't this belong under Hacker's stuff?  Just curious.

Squeaky

Squeakybird
Karmakrazy13
Completely Haunted

Frightseeking Since 2007

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 07:24:51 PM »

Scarowinds: Scarowinds is big and haunted, aside from the 6 haunted attractions they have 4 areas with lots of actors and props, you can also ride every ride but top gun. We had a great time and here are my comments!
Scare Factor: 3/5: I got startled in alot of the haunts like someone would come out of no where and it would get me, lots of surprises in the haunts.
Actors: 1/5: There were alot but in the haunts alot of the actors would just stand there and not do anything...very disappointing.
Set design/Props/FX: 5/5: Amazing! The whole park is drapped in darkness and fog, everything was perfect the visuals were incredible, truely a great experience for the eyes and ears.
Length: 5/5: We got finished with everything at about 11pm and we got there at 7, 6 haunted attractions, the whole park haunted and covered in actors, and all the theme park rides...simply put perfection!

NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 08:44:11 AM »

Excellent!

The more reviews, the better!
Everyone, please dont hesitate to share your opinions with other FrightSeekers!

Just an example, here's some of the things to look for when reviewing an event:

Scare Factor - This essentially refers to the entertainment quality of the attraction. Some folks look for scariness, some look for fun. Whatever you're looking for in terms of the entertainment value of the production, this is where it's listed.

Actors - This can mean the number of actors in relation to the size of the haunt, the quality of acting, the intensity and energy, and pretty much anything related to the live-person element of the haunt.

Set Design/Props/FX - Does it look cool? How well do they incorporate things like set decorations, animatronics, or other non-person scares? Is the set an integral part of the haunt itself?

Length - Longer doesn't necessarily mean better. Generally, what we're looking for is the length as it relates to the pace. A really scary haunt could be over in five minutes and still be the perfect length, whereas a boring haunt that goes on for an hour is just bad news. What we're looking for is to see if the haunt ended too soon or went on too long, or if it was the perfect length for that particular haunt.

Your thoughts on haunts you attend are important, so please share with all your fellow FrightSeekers!

Pleasant Screams!
-NCHadmin
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:49:49 PM by NCHauntsAdmin » Logged
Slappy
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:36:21 PM »

What, didn't anyone go to any haunts this weekend?  I made it to one, although it wasn't any of the Moster Tour haunts.  And let's just say it wasn't even worth a review.  Although I must say, it's been a long time since I've laughed that hard...
Karmakrazy13
Completely Haunted

Frightseeking Since 2007

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 02:39:15 PM »

what was this place called? where was it at?

Slappy
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »

Um, it was called Bloody Hollow.  They tried hard, but one guy couldn't get his chainsaw started (which actually turned pretty funny).  There were too many kids portraying characters (a 4 foot Jason Vorhees isn't scary), and it just pretty much lacked the fear factor all together.  It was decently long, and had some interesting areas, but all in all, it was not worth $10.  If you really want me to give a full review, I'll do it, but it won't be pretty.
Slappy
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 12:53:49 PM »

I got to make it to 2 haunts this weekend.  To avoid confusion, I will break the 2 haunts up into separate reviews.  First will be Woods of Terror on Church Street.

First let me say that when I pulled up, my mouth dropped open.  The number of cars and people there was just mind-blowing.  I couldn't believe it.  I had high hopes for this place...had...

Scare Factor:  1/5  Not once during the nearly 2 hours it took to get through this haunt did I jump, yell, or even remotely become scared.  The groups we were in were far too large.  I could see what was happening, yet I was still 20 feet away, so by the time I got there, the element of surprise was gone.

Actor: 1/5  Or should I say "lack thereof"?  There were very few actors for the size of this haunt.  They used far too many props, air cannons, dummies...it was just bad.  And the actors thenselves?  I've seen better acting in a high school musical.  No feeling from any of them, some of them were just screwing around.  Very disappointing.

Set Design/Props/FX:  3/5  There were some interesting scenes.  A tomb, some other random pieces.  The best of which was Movie Maniacs, which included all the major slasher film guys, Freddie, Jason, Michael, Leatherface, etc.  Some of the scenery was good, but the actors (besides Freddie) were just lethargic.  The electrified fence Freddie was taking his glove across was pretty cool, but you actually had to walk around it to get to the next section.  Little dangerous if you ask me.

Length: 4/5  This haunt was incredibly long, but if I had to stand in line, I would have snapped.  The line was insane for General Admission.  The haunt itself was respectably long, perhaps a little too long.  I kept wishing it was over.  But you do get your money's worth on length.  However, the 4 (or was it 5?!) times you had to ride the "hayride,"...that was ridiculous.   You sat on a dirty, hard wooden trailer, on your butt (nothing else) and rode down the road.  Most of the time you had to wait for something, so maybe the haunt wasn't as long as I thought.  Perhaps I spent and hour + waiting in different lines...  But I'll leave it at 4.

As one of the most expensive haunts on the site, this was a HUGE disappointment.  They obviously put a lot of money into it, including the concession area with things like a Horror Museum, concession stands, games, and a rat rod, but I want to be scared, not have a hotdog and win a toy.  If I want that, I'll go to the fair!
Slappy
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 01:31:23 PM »

And now for the second haunt from 10/20, Forest of Horror.  This was about 5 minutes down the road from the other haunt, which was nice.  But this was a completely different world.

First, much shorter line, not the big spectacle that some other haunts are.  Please understand that this is what a haunt should be, in my opinion.  Noisy people, the smell of funnel cakes and long lines do not set the mood for a haunt.  Regardless, the mood here was much more sullen, much more tense, much more "mood-setting."

Scare Factor: 4/5  Regardless of the two young females behind me that jumped and screamed at everything, there was a decent scare factor here.  Actors jumping out at unknown, appropriate places, good dark places, good camouflage.

Actors:  5/5  Very good at staying motionless.  Some I didn't even know were actors until they jumped at me.  The others stayed in character very well, followed you just long enough, and actually seemed like they were having fun.

Set Design/Props/FX:  4/5  The one room smelled a little too much like a barn, but other than that, very good.  No air cannons (yay!), no cheesey scenes with narrarators (except one), and the walk through the woods was just creepy.  It all flowed together well.  However, what looked to be an awesome rebirth of Freddie was a big overture with a tiny opera.  A slight let down, but the effects were great.

Length:  4/5  Compared to other haunts in the same price range, the length was pretty good.  It could have been a bit longer, but perhaps it seemed so short because of one of two things.  One, the 2 females practically pushing us through it, or two, because the previous haunt I visited seemed to go on forever.  Regardless, decent length.

This was more my kind of haunt.  No big spectacle, just scares.  There were some very impressive costumes, cool scenes, even smells on this one.  Plus, some of the walking through the woods was just creepy in its own right. 
Slappy
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 01:35:55 PM »

I did want to add one more thing about Woods of Terror.  This place must keep Poulan or Stihl in business.  There were more chainsaws here than at a lumberjack convention.  Huge over-usage of chainsaws, air cannons, and the redneck theme in general.  The "gentleman" on our wagon during the drive through the "redneck yard sale" (as he called it) was just obnoxious. He didn't shut up the whole time, and nothing he did made sense.
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 04:49:58 PM »

When we went, we called it the Woods of Jesus.

Squeakybird
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »

Oh, sorry ... what do I mean by that?
When we went, the owner had folks in a holding tank before dispatching them out.  In that tank was a video of him talking about salvation through Jesus Christ and "where will you be in 75 years?"  He was witnessing before a haunt.  This turned a lot of people off ... I thought it's his property, he can do what he wants to ... maybe because I'm on his side.  Appopriate?  You tell me.  Can't say if he's even doing it this year as I didnt' see this posted in any review.

Squeakybird
Slappy
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 05:09:13 PM »

No, he definitely didn't have that this year.  I can say that I would find it highly inappropriate UNLESS it was posted somewhere in the description of the haunt.  I don't have a problem with religion, I do, however, have a problem with it being shoved down my throat.  No offense to anyone, that's just not my thing.
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 11:15:09 PM »

Review on the Mill:

They have improved this haunt since the last time I was there ... in fact, it is a different haunt altogether.  It is still laid out to be a maze though.

Scare Factor:  I can't rate this.  It was entertaining but not scary or really fun.

Actors:  3/5.  The number of actors for the "now 4 times bigger" Mill was average for the size.  Although some actors merely guided you through the maze and/or looked tired, some were in top energy form.  The elevator man came in last with you, jumped up and slammed his whole body force down to shake the elevator ... that's a lot of enthusiasm for an actor!  Also, those women can really, REALLY scream well.  They should be hooked up to the next horror film.

Set design/Props/FX:  4/5.  In this haunt, you entered the elevator in one place, it shook and jarred you around but you know you didn't go anywhere, yet you clearly exited from another place.  That was good work on their part.  BEP - big expensive props.  There was a room I'd never seen before ... all the furniture was upside down and nailed to the ceiling.  I liked it but we thought more features could have been added to the room.  At one point, the maze goes completely dark and you could not see your way through and no actor was there to "boo" you in the right direction or glimpse the way with a flashlight ... this was not really cool.  And lastly, they ALWAYS exit this haunt with the chainsaw ... so predictable, but it is a fast way to exit people out of the building.

Length:  Good length, 15 minutes.

Squeakybird
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: