November 17, 2017, 04:15:36 PM
News: Visit a haunt in South Carolina this season!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: *Haunt Reviews*  (Read 25040 times)
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 11:35:11 PM »

Review on Nightmare on Independence

Not on the Monster Tour but definitely worth mentioning!  The Charlotte Jaycees have never let me down and they certainly didn't this year.  On this website, there is a $2.00 printable coupon.

Scare Factor:  4/5.  I screamed over a dozen times ... that is rare for me.  I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 good ones out.  These actors were literally invisible, dressed in black in a black maze.  At one time, I fell behind and was feeling the walls to find my way.  I was laughing hysterically and uncontrollably.  The groups were small and they didn't shove another group right in after you, so no one was creeping up on me and my group was so far in front.  Finally, sensing my real distress, an actor beamed his flashlight once to show me the path without making it an incident.  LOTS of scares and LOTS of fun.

Actors:  5/5.  Every actor there was perfect.  All of them stayed in character, some mingled among the folks in line and then out into the general area and everyone was laughing; some were unnerving with their silent, dark stares like the Grim Reaper.  He was excellent.  To try and break the tension, I leaned my head against his chest, and he growled, "Don't touch."  So he didn't edge out of character against my charm.  There were a good number of actors for this haunt, all having high energy and some actors REALLY got into it!

Set design/Props/FX:  This is one of the largest and dark mazes I have ever seen.  There are strings and flaps hanging down that you must wave your hands through to pass.  There is no consistent theme but that in itself was refreshing because nothing was expected.  Good use of black lighting.  My husband and I are "in the business" too, and John discovered something notable.  He said, "Given that this haunt was associated with a major Halloween prop supplier, this haunt was not an advertisement for their wares."

Length:  Nice.  45 minutes maybe, but that is to go through 2 INDOOR haunted house mazes.  Honestly, I would have been satisfied with the first one, but the 2nd "house" was not very long.  Great pace ... as I said, no group was ever remotely near me.  All of the group got to see what was happening in each scene.

Squeakybird
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 11:13:53 AM »

Haunt Review:  Campground Massacre

Scare Factor:  4/5 -- Great entertainment; I screamed the loudest EVER at one place where an actor was set inside his "niche" as we walked by.  He was a cadaver.  He came right out in my face and I screamed and fell on the dirt path.  I am 44 years old and this was a first.  Luckily I had a teenager next to me to break my fall.  High creep factor with the zombies crowding around you.

Actors:  4/5 -- My husband noticed that some actors were "reunsed" in several places but there was the right amount of actors for this haunt.  This is a good thing.   It seems more "populated" than it really is and is just smart to do.   "The Ring" masked actors got in your face and that was right on.  There is an actor thrashing about in the shower.  Most of the actors really got into their parts!  Lots of energy OR lots of creepy acting as the zombies silently crowded around you.  One thing though, if you are going to sneak up on someone and scare them, don't let your feet scrape the gravel.

Set Design/Props/FX:  5/5 -- This haunt constantly morphs and speaking as a consistent veteran of 6 years, I see the changes every year ... these folks are constantly reinvesting into this thing.  Okay, first off, BEP - big expensive props and big animatronics.  In previous times, it seemed congested with "stuff" but this year, it felt like they thought less was more ... and I think they were effective.  Most of the haunt was darker than earlier times.  There is a dark maze that continues with a wall of nothing but skulls and bones, and more walls hanging of what feels like dried out flesh.  Very cool to see and touch.  Being in the mask business, there were masks I'd never seen before ... like from "The Ring" where their mouths are stretched to unnatural proportions.  Very cool.  There is a new graveyard with props and actors that is nicely done.

Length:  I felt like I was being pushed through even though there wasn't many people there ... and my husband was first and went slow.  I felt like it was over too fast.  Overall, I say it was the right length for the haunt.

Squeakybird
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 11:15:26 AM »

Some actors were RE-used.

Squeakybird
TheDark
A Little Haunted

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 10:04:59 AM »

Karma, maybe im just really really tired! But.. i only saw  your review of Scarowinds.. not Forest of Horror.. Forgive me but im starving for feedback! I need to know how people feel in order to improve.. did anyone like the Rats and mice??! Smiley
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 07:22:01 AM »

Hey,

I did not personally go to FOH, but people's faces lit up when it was mentioned and they highly recommended it when I was at Boogerwoods (did not say anything specific, but this is a good thing).  They loved it, so, rest assured ... you and your rats ... I'm sure everyone loved them.

SBird.

Squeakybird
Slappy
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 10:14:53 AM »

Forest of Horror was good, without a doubt.  One of those haunts where you could see the actors and the "victims" enjoying themselves, and that's what it's all about!
Slappy
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »

Well, here it is, my final review of the season.  I went to Midway Wicked Woods on Saturday, October 27th.  It was all I had time for that weekend.  I'm extremely sorry to say that I missed 3 out of 8 haunts, which greatly disappoints me.  I may make it a point to visit these haunts next year, or perhaps I will just stick with the tried and true.

Anyhow, Midway Wicked Woods: The Review...

Scare Factor: 3/5  I would have given it a higher scare factor, but the problem was that our group was moving so slowly, and the group in front of us was moving so slowly, that we were caught in the middle, and missed most of the scares.  But I must give a thumbs up the actors that did go out of their way to try and scare us. 

Actors: 3/5  The gentleman "guarding" the entrance into the woods was quite "charming."  However, the obnoxious people that walked through the lines screaming in my ear made me want to leave immediately.  The actors in the actual haunt itself were decent.  A few seemed tired, or out of it, but it was a decent try for the most part.

Set Design/Props/FX:  4/5  The flame-throwing satellite dish was cool, the entrance into the woods was cool, very good lighting effects throughout.  Very interesting surfaces to walk on at times, and the graveyard scene was one of the creepiest I've seen.  Good use of lighting, textures, and props.  And no air cannons!  Yay!!!  The maze at the end was incredible.  First maze where I actually got lost several times.  It was pitch black, and narrow (not for the claustrophobic), and we made several wrong turns.  Thankfully, there was always someone there to flash the lights if you got completely lost (which we did).  But very cool.

Length:  4/5  Pretty good.  I did feel like I was in the maze for quite a while, but overall the length was fairly good.  I wish the groups moved a little faster, because as I said, we kind of got caught in the middle, and perhaps missed a lot.  But overall, a very decent haunt.

I would recommend this haunt to anyone in the Midway/Statesville area.  Whether or not it was worth the 40 minute drive for me, well, I had free tickets, so that helped.  Will I go again next year?  If time and funds permit.
Slappy
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 11:48:01 AM »

So, for those that are just joining in, I will rate the haunts I went to this year by my own personal opinion.  I visited 6 total, one which is not listed on this site, but I will include it regardless.

1.  Hacker House.  Yes, that's right, I said Hacker House.  Me, who complained about how bad it was last time I was there.  I was very impresed by the atmosphere, the actors, the sets and props, and by the haunt as a whole.  I will be back next year, and I better see someone get fried!

2.  Woods of Terror.  Not nearly the spectacle of the bigger haunts, but definitely had the actors, props and sets of a much bigger haunt.  This haunt is somewhat misleading, as it looks a lot smaller than it is.  Again, I was quite impressed, and the actors were definitely on their A-game the night I went. 

3.  Kersey Valley Spooky Woods.  Always a good haunt.  It's a shame we had a drought, because the corn maze was a bit disappointing.  But as always, great props, good actors, and it's just a big haunt.  And I have to give it decent marks as it made my friend leave in hysterics.

4.  Midway Wicked Woods.  A good haunt, but nothing mind-blowing.  The Hewitt house was good, as was the cemetary and maze.  Decent haunt, but they need to move the people through better.  And lose the screaming idiots in line.

5.  Bloody Hollow Haunted Trail.  Or something like that.  Out in the middle of nowhere, just going to this place is creepy.  However, there were so many screw ups the night we went, that I did nothing by laugh.  However, I did have a good time, so it doesn't rank last in my book. 

6.  Woods of Terror on Church Street.  A total disappoint.  Bad actors, too many annoying teenie-boppers in line, too much stuff going on, too many "hay rides" and not enough hay.  This haunt dragged on forever.  I felt like I was going to be there for the rest of my life.  It actually took us 2 hours to get through it, which is far too long in my book.  30 - 60 minutes is optimal to me, depending on the price.  I will not to back to this haunt...ever.

Please understand that this is merely my opinion.  It is not here to influence anybody, or to put anyone down.  I've been going to haunted houses since I was 5 years old (yes, honestly).  Back in the days when the actors could touch you, and that made it even scarier.  Regardless, these are the 6 haunts I visited this Halloween season, and these are my opinions on them.  Feel free to read, feel free to comment, but DO NOT take it personally.  Thank you.
Squeakybird
A Little Haunted

Where's My Cake?

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 04:22:49 PM »

REVIEW on BOOGERWOODS
 -- NOT on the Monster Tour.

I, too, went to 4 haunts, 2 on the Tour (The Mill and Campground Massacre) and 2 that were not (Nightmare on Independence and Boogerwoods).  I was told I could write about the other 2 anyway.  I'm glad I could write about Boogerwoods.

BOOGERWOODS is located between Rockwell and China Grove off of I-85 on Hwy. 152, east of Kannapolis/Concord, NC.  It was originally built by family and friends just for fun and now, 2007 marks their 30 year anniversary in business, donating money to Cystic Fibrosis ... many volunteers return annually because they are part of the family atmosphere.

This haunt is OPEN six (6) given nights per season and these days VARY, so check the website every year.  Tickets go on sale at 2:00 that afternoon for that night of the haunt and typically sell out.  They have their reasons for doing it this way.

While you are in LINE, Boogerwoods offers a Big Screen showing Halloween-y movies.  It is like a walk-in instead of a drive-in as the speakers are spread out.  Wait time is about 2 hours but it is well worth the wait - built in benches help.  They also offer concession goods and an on-duty Sheriff.

Boogerwoods was a lovely mixed bag of having an experience with a prop, an experience being part of an audience who watched the volunteer/actors comically banter and put on a show for you, and hysterical interaction with your guides/actors (below) ... totally different combination.

SCARE FACTOR -- 5/5
Entertainment factor was serverly high.  Very unique sets, different sensations, smells, frights and constant laughing.  Note:  I laughed so hard, not because it was dumb, but because your guides (mentioned below) were so funny, having a great time themselves.  It was designed to be this way, for both fun and fright.  LOTS of humorous and creative skits to entertain or scare you.  LOTS of sensory input ... some unlike anything I'd ever seen done (more below).

FX/PROPS/SET DESIGN --  5/5
BEPs (big expensive props) and the use of TONS of plain 'ole creativity, imagination and down home fun tactics.  In my opinion, these folks could fly without BEPs ... and that is saying a lot.  But even their big props were very unique.  I must mention CLUB BOOGER -- You had better dance in there or "The Managers" will appear and check on the "bar."  They scared the heck out me:  quite amazing and frightening.

Without spoiling or repeating anything that isn't already posted on their website with photos, I decided to list what you will experience through your senses:  SIGHT:  dark then bright sets (high scare factor), strobes, "lightning bolts," 3-D, and a beautiful tall landscaped waterfall; SMELL:  farm smells; SENSATIONS:  you felt like you were in a fender bender, like you were walking on mushy, sinking and/or muddy ground; that you were in a rain shower (uh, you were); like you had pressure on your whole body; like you had motion sickness (NOT just the spinning tube ... I have never seen this BEP before); and like you got the tingles in your feet; HEARING:  thunderstorms, lightning bolt cracks and lots of good music.  Plus, you got to boogie and dance.

Regarding set design continuity, none of these sets were related, but your guides, 2 volunteers (actors) cultivated the sense of continuity, just by talking TO you and WITH you inbetween sets.  THEY are the ones who made it flow together unlike self guided tours where you might feel a choppy set change.

ACTORS/Volunteers  -- 5/5
Booger uses 75-100 volunteers per night and they need all of them.  These people were priceless and I loved them!  It was like you went to a show.  They had rehearsed and comical banter and antics among themselves and acted like you weren't there sometimes.   Sometimes I forgot I was at a haunt, I was so into it ... their acting was as quite credible for what it was.

LENGTH:  5/5 -- 40 minutes.  Perfect.

Note:  A little subject material might be considered by some to be "on the fence" ... or just plain over it regarding what you want to hear or see, but everyone's sense of humor varies, doesn't it?

Squeakybird
nctrembley0613
Completely Haunted

Acherontia atropos

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »

You know, there are so many vairables that can make a haunted house attraction the best experience or the worst experience.  Such as:  weather, beginnig of season, end of season, who you go with, your mindset or expectations.

I personally have heard more bad stories about Woods of Terror than any other haunt, so in your case, I am glad to hear some positive feedback.  I have never opted to visit WOT because the people (I know) who have gone were dissapointed.

Regarding Spookywoods, last year was my first visit and we had many variables that could have made our visit sour:  it was our 1st time AND we had heard a lot of hype about scare factor AND it was raining AND it was on a Thrusday...but we ended up having a really good time even accounting for the actors who couldn't work due to weather.

Maybe (like you said) because it was opening day, the experience was not the end all be all hunt you desired.  I hope your group gets a chance to go back later this season for a better scare.  I'm actually going to SW this Friday night, maybe I'll get so see the film crew, I defintely look forward to my 1st hunt of this season  Shocked

There are so many threads on this forum that discuss what it takes to scare a person & it always comes down to the individual and the variables.   

...I find delight in the gruesome and grim...(Oh that's terrible! Madam Mim)...Thank you my boy, but that's nothing, nothing for me, cause I'm the magnificent, marvelous,...mad, mad, mad, mad Madam Mim!!
scaremaster08
A Little Haunted

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 11:40:12 PM »

i just came back from xtreme fear and I loved it, they created one of the best atmospheres i've ever been in at a haunt. the actors were on top of there game. really have nothing bad to say about this haunt, i suggest everyone checks it out!

GET SKEERED!!!!
nctrembley0613
Completely Haunted

Acherontia atropos

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »

i'm there 2nite.  post a review in the "unofficial" section with the scale 1 - 5 if you can, we love details here, we want to know the nitty gritty.  last year, when it ended at x-treme fear, i was totally out of breath and scared to death.  loved every minute!

...I find delight in the gruesome and grim...(Oh that's terrible! Madam Mim)...Thank you my boy, but that's nothing, nothing for me, cause I'm the magnificent, marvelous,...mad, mad, mad, mad Madam Mim!!
scaremaster08
A Little Haunted

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »

then ur gonna love it this year. ill post my unofficial right now.

GET SKEERED!!!!
Badger
Completely Haunted

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »

i just came back from xtreme fear and I loved it, they created one of the best atmospheres i've ever been in at a haunt. the actors were on top of there game. really have nothing bad to say about this haunt, i suggest everyone checks it out!

This makes me smile.  (I trained the actors this year)

scaremaster08
A Little Haunted

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »

then you are great at your job. I've been looking at doing what you do how do you get your name out?

GET SKEERED!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: