November 25, 2017, 04:43:51 AM
News: Visit a haunt in South Carolina this season!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Payne Road  (Read 14342 times)
Terrorizer
Mostly Haunted

Dont Run

« on: August 05, 2009, 11:50:06 PM »

There is this little country road, situated in the small town of Rural Hall, North Carolina, just outside of Winston Salem. There is a famous bridge located on the road that is said to be haunted. Some swear that if you drive over the bridge at night your car stops, just like that. Lights that seem to be car head lights appear behind the car, but nothing is there. You can not escape the bridge unless you push your car off and back onto main land. Some say the bridge was built out of planks from the house of Charlie Lawson. Charlie murdered his family on Christmas ever in the early 1900s. Others say the blood from the murders some how made it under the bridge some time after it happened, bringing spirits among Payne Road.

I know that i kind of wrote to scare, but i included no exaggerations, only facts.

Close your eyes and count to seven, when you wake you'll be in heaven.
Radiant_Red
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »

I've been there a few times. Only during the day though. The history is kinda confusing, trying to figure out the orgin of it being supposedly haunted.

Fair is foul, and foul is fair

All Hallow's Eve has become a night of frolic, where children wear costumes and run amok!
Slappy
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »

There are an uncountable number of legends associated with Payne Road.  So many, in fact, that it's hard to distinguish which is the true legend anymore, like radiant_red said.  I've heard the one mentioned above, along with ones about how if you stop your car, it will be pushed.  Or that there's an old house along the road where Mr. (insert name here) killed his family on (insert holiday here), and now the house it haunted.  Or there's blood somewhere in or around the house that won't go away.  Or there are strange lights or noises.  Or a phantom car that chases you.  I have at least a half dozen books on local legends and haunts, and each one has it's own account of Payne Road. 

Now, if anyone can do some actual research and come prove which is the actual legend, then we could have some fun.  Then again, maybe not knowing the legend makes Payne Road even creepier?
Radiant_Red
Completely Haunted

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »

I've also heard that people and phantom(or real) cars  chase people away at night.

Fair is foul, and foul is fair

All Hallow's Eve has become a night of frolic, where children wear costumes and run amok!
Terrorizer
Mostly Haunted

Dont Run

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:44:36 PM »

that mr. you are talking about slappy is Mr. Lawson of the Lawson family murders. And the holiday was Christmas, and yes I have heard about every single one of those ideas too.

Close your eyes and count to seven, when you wake you'll be in heaven.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: