November 23, 2017, 09:11:21 PM
News: The Screaming Season is Here!  Visit a Featured Haunt and Enjoy!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The "Perfect" Haunted House?  (Read 6395 times)
Badger
Completely Haunted

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »

I say go to Netherword, The Dent Schoolhouse, House of Shock, Erebus, or Hundred Acres Manor to see what I would call a 'perfect' haunt.*

*Merely my opinion....

screaming_diana
Completely Haunted

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 11:36:44 PM »

A part in the house where I could  "abduct" a member of a group or a member  of the couple  in the complete dark & they wouldn't get back together untill they are out side the haunt. "Can you imagine going into a haunt with a friend then not seeing them again untill it's over" you wold be like ,"W.T.F".
I have a bad feeling one of you haunt owners will do this to me one day Sad 
I know this is a VERY old topic but it caught my interest! 
Radiant_Red
Completely Haunted

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

Even though it technically is not a haunted house, sleep no more reminds me of this. Splitting up from your group, being whisked away. Not seeing who you came with for a length of time.

Fair is foul, and foul is fair

All Hallow's Eve has become a night of frolic, where children wear costumes and run amok!
13moons
Haunted

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »

having real fire in trorches in caves & in latterns on the trail, otherwise pretty much complete dark,grabbing  or touching customers, having customers  walk through a room with REAL snakes ,rats,& bugs without anything to seperate them from the customer ,A part in the house where I could  "abduct" a member of a group or a member  of the couple  in the complete dark & they wouldn't get back together untill they are out side the haunt.

However none of this could actually be done

Wow, these things you listed have happened to me at haunts in 2013 - fires going off, real snake petting, complete dark, and touching! The abduct part happened when actors cleverly closed-off the exit door or changed-up a moving maze wall when we went through - one haunt forced us to go through different doors (that was at Scales Street in 2011). But now I'm wondering if I should be saying this...Smiley Maybe move your haunt to a county with fewer restrictions - then you get your dream and so do we. Scare on, baby!

I tried to think of a logical solution that could explain what I had just seen a solution that excluded the assumption that I was insane.
Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 3, p.59
13moons
Haunted

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »

Love this thread, so I'm double-dipping. I'm no Slappy or Badger, but I built haunted houses as a kid for my friends in the neighborhood using moving boxes connected together - people had to crawl through them while I banged on them. I covered the box-tunnels with blankets, threw dark scarves over lamps, used candles (yes, there's an old burn circle in the basement steps in the house I lived in Dayton, OH), so I get the fire thing. I played the weirdest music I could find on my old jam box and cut circles out of the boxes where people had to put their fingers in a pan of boiled eggs for eyeballs or scrambled eggs with raw egg for throw-up (ewww). I put pillows in there to make it squishy, so I love textures. Some things don't change.

What works (for me) and what doesn't for the perfect haunt:

1. Textures for the Senses
Moving and slanted walls, vibrant sounds, slanty, popping and/or squishy changing floors (escalators, moving walkways, being closed-in with ceilings and/or pop-outs making me move down to the ground; love the bags even if it's a Carmex risk, love walking- or trying to run through balls like at the playhouse at McDs, the quicksand effect, bounce effect, anything to lose my balance or sense of where I am.

Spiral tunnels that work; spiral stairs, slanty, whip-lashing hairpin-turning trails I can't see my way around.  Choices in directions. Air puffs that don't hurt but scare the crap out of me. Love being accosted by smells, water, temperature, pressure, wind, foam, bubbles, vapors and other/any special FX. The visual effects (fog, eerie lights, strobes, disco balls, colors, 3D to me is awesome when it's done well especially when the monsters are "painted" into the walls until it's too late; show me different apparitions or whatever flying around into the space, etc. 

Those awesome laser lights that look like sparkles and the laser lights with the fog slanted down so you can't see what's underneath are so creepy and fun. Frightmore in Atlanta last year had a huge open black room where we were held hostage whilst having to find a wall then feel our way out. Pitch black all the way. Getting shocked, feeling different textures with my hands, groping in the pure darkness where we end up yelling to find each other again. Reaching like a zombie in the dark to find a point of reference then have to find my way out-and then it changes right when I (think) we made it out. The dark is an essential texture.

2. PITCH BLACK Mazes - darkness only with actors I cannot see. Please, no cracks of light in the ceiling or walls. The best mazes shock or goo or make me have to crawl or go up and over such as having to climb a ladder (2011 at Treedine's in South Carolina) with someone grabbing at my legs.

MIRROR mazes - they are expensive and too short but so totally awesome - love the mirrors that contort, too.

MAKE IT HARD
Give me moving walls and cut-out crawl-ways where I have to touch the whole thing high and low to figure it out. One main wall to follow is too easy. Give me alternatives. Spiral me in the middle like the Hopi maze, then unwind me; under and over. Give me at least FIVE dead ends then one of those becomes the only way out - I'm smart so it's got to feel the same, too. Or, I'll go back looking there. Make it so I can hear others but I can't get to them. That's maddening.

3. Planes of movement
Play with different senses of 'heights', elevators, ladders, slides, tubes, FX, reaching, having to go in sideways or jump into a hole (a slide)...crawling up/down/low/high/back/front - anything that makes my body have to move other than stand up straight the whole time. Lock peeps in their own box for two whole minutes with no way out - not knowing except for the slam. Have a hidden camera and film them flip the hell out. Then have a live feed on a screen into the waiting line. Put the actors on skateboards, rollerskates, those knee sliders, crawling on walls or coming from underwater in scuba gear (Treedine's in 2011 in the Myers' lake).

4. What Slappy Said:
The haunters can touch you, you can be subjected to more "graphic" images, costumes, make-up, props, scenes.  Let the people decide how badly they want to be scared [and we'll sign a wavier].

5. What handfulofrubies82 Said:
haunted trails/forests/attractions outdoors could incorporate GPS technology into their haunts

6.  Create your own monsters and makeup. Use what you got. If you have dreads, make them snakes, if you are tall, work it. If you have an otherwise "freak show" attribute, use it. Use stilts, use sparkers, get underneath me, through the walls, over my head - see #3.

7. Actor Fresh-ity - some ideas
Plant an actor "lost" in my group really freaked out trying to find his/her group, or just silently with us acting like s/he is going to throw up or do something "bad". Make it look like another actor did something scary to that person. Convince me. Have an officer tell us they saw us do something "bad" on the cam or some other distraction like someone just fainted up ahead or the EMT are there and do something to our group - take us another way or put us in what looks like an brightly-lit official office then the light go off  - now we have to find our way out of there. Give me some psychological freak outs that aren't just looming in corners. Do different things to different groups. Put men in sexy hooker costumes -  if you're gonna be different, be different - at least make me look twice and tell my friends.

8. People
If groups aren't coming out with expression, it's not working. Please change it.

9. Stories and Themes
Stop it. Actors can't talk loud enough over crowds and they need their voices. And, stories never seem to match the theme so they don't make sense. If you have a tight set that matches in every way, then you get MAX 15 seconds - the average adult attention span - or that experience was just wasted. Tell me something scary if you talk to me, don't tell me boo, to get out, to f-off, or to hurry up. I'm there for my experience of your art -  I'm not there to save your granny paint by numbers, or find a magic coin - maybe a good one for kids, but not for grown ups.

10. Stories Part Two - exception
If I'm in some kind of horror-game that I paid extra for (zombie shoots, rubie's idea, zip lines, boating, mountain bike riding, hide and seek trick or treat, whatever) and I already know what I bought, then tell me the story and maybe even let my group help write it ourselves.

11. Guides along the trails or in the houses
If I'm under twelve maybe. Use a planted actor-guest if you must, begging the host to let me in with my group as we are finally getting in the door if Fire Marshall Bill says so. But, please don't ruin my experience with an obvious chaperone especially one who is telling a STORY the whole time.

12. Rules
Post em clearly and have the ticket folks tell me stuff "do you understand", "yes" - I get my ticket. We're done with Rules. If you think I'm gonna sue you, print a wavier and have me sign in - just a big sign in sheet like at the doctor's office before I get my ticket. Put a link of the web site if they want to see what they signed. That's it. No more bitching from leechers or worries about being creative.  If I'm drunk or high, don't let me in. If I have high heels or flippers on or you can't tell if I'm drunk or high, get out that wavier sheet.

13. Safety
In my opinion, actors get to have a "safety line" and the authority to remove a guest if someone is doing something hazardous. Define hazardous clearly in your Rules. Making out in a haunt? First, it's not scary enough if guests are doing that, so go back to square one. Second, is that hazardous? Other guests coming through will break that up naturally. The first time this year, I've been hearing stories about [why not] pitch black mazes - for 'britchie sliding' - so put a cam in there and send it to their parents - so what!!!! Actors need to be present for real hazards, however. They must - it's not fun for the rest of us.

13moons

I tried to think of a logical solution that could explain what I had just seen a solution that excluded the assumption that I was insane.
Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 3, p.59
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: