November 19, 2017, 01:03:04 PM
News: Do something scary... go to a Haunted House!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Yard Haunts  (Read 6784 times)
Karmakrazy13
Completely Haunted

Frightseeking Since 2007

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:22:29 AM »

Thanks for the link!

You can run, but you cannot hide
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »

....This year I might turn it up a notch if I have time.

So you're wearing the chicken suit?
;-)

Slappy
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »

Wow, I had never even thought of that!  That could be very interesting.   Grin
~honey~
Completely Haunted

Crazed Blonde

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »

No.

For real, no chicken.   Roll Eyes

On another note, I used to love helping my parents decorate our old house when we lived in Buffalo.  It was a small house, but we lived on a street full of families with kids.  In Buffalo, there are a lot of old-style block neighborhoods, and all the roads are flat, complete with sidewalks.  And I mean this is everywhere.  You could go from one end of town to another if you wanted.  This meant trick-r-treating was the best I have ever seen.  All the houses were decorated, everyone had pumpkins and lights, it made the night so magical.  My parents made cardboard cut-outs for the windows and yard (we didn't have money to buy stuff) and we covered the porch with spider webs.  My dad made these ghost cut-outs for each member of our family, including our dog, that were decorated to look like us, and we still have them.   Smiley   My mom made my costumes (and my brother's) every single year.  I would pick out what I wanted, and she would buy fabric and hand sew EVERYTHING.  We still have some of them!  We used to run around in groups up and down the streets visiting everyone's house, getting scared by people hiding in the bushes, comparing costumes, it was great.  I miss that a lot here in NC because the neighborhoods just aren't the same as what I grew up with.  But because of all that, I grew to look forward to Halloween as one of my favorite times of year, and yard haunts hold a special place in my heart, no matter how small and home-made or big and fantastic a family can manage.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:20:37 PM by ~honey~ » Logged

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

*FrightSeeker and Hacker*
Blame Elvis
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »

No worries dude. If you do a test before Halloween and you can make it work let me know, I'd love to have some insider tips on how to make that effect.
k2quiere
Completely Haunted

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 07:44:53 AM »

In Buffalo, there are a lot of old-style block neighborhoods, and all the roads are flat, complete with sidewalks.  And I mean this is everywhere.  You could go from one end of town to another if you wanted.  This meant trick-r-treating was the best I have ever seen.  All the houses were decorated, everyone had pumpkins and lights, it made the night so magical.  

We were actually talking about this last year when my girls (at 16) were planning on trick-or-treating with their friends.  The reality is that we don't get many kids because there is no a safe walking environment, AKA sidewalks everywhere.  We went to one of the few housing developments that have full sidewalks throughout the development and people were driving in from all parts of Winston to bring the kids trick-or-treating there.  I bet that if the infrastructure was a little better and there were sidewalks in all areas, like there are in NY and NJ (where I'm from), then we would have a lot more kids every year.

K2
Karmakrazy13
Completely Haunted

Frightseeking Since 2007

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 08:25:48 AM »

Plenty of sidewalks n my hood, actually every street has a sidewalk, I do know a lot of people do not turn on the porch light though, maybe I can start a campaign to get people to hand out candy, even if its for like an hour on Halloween...

You can run, but you cannot hide
Slappy
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »

That sounds kind of like my neighborhood, Karma, minus the sidewalks.  We don't have the sidewalks, but it's a very safe neighborhood, but there are a lot of older folks around here, and they don't turn their lights on.  They all say how much they like my decorations, but they still don't get into Halloween.
Cousin Levi Slaughter
Completely Haunted

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »

I found a dvd we bought a couple years ago, from party city I think... but anyway it's called X-treme haunted house make-over. It mainly is focused on yard haunts & how to take household items, or items you could find at wally world or S-lowes to make you house the spot in your hood for Halloween. Some of you guys should check it out. The $1.00 painters plastic & leafblower is my favorite gimmick. If any of you find it let me know what you think.
 Slaughter.

I have a $89.00 chainsaw.... and I know how to use it....
Julie
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 09:05:49 AM »

We decorate the yard and our garage every year. Luckily we live in a neighborhood with sidewalks, so we get plenty of foot traffic. I usually invite a friend over to help me pack Halloween goody bags...last year we made 300 and ran out! It helps me know the numbers coming through. We are probably the most decorated house, but there are at least 2 or 3 others who decorate on a pretty big scale. Does anyone else have a problem with storage of props? Smiley
Badger
Completely Haunted

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 09:27:01 AM »

There is a magazine dedicated to home haunts and haunters.  I've seen some good things in it...

http://www.homehauntnews.com/

jhc36
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »

Ah that's pretty cool thanks!
handfulofrubies82
Completely Haunted

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »

I'm reviving the topic

Anyone seen any decorated yards yet?? I've seen one on the back-roads, in the King area, but that is all. I know of a few in Winston that I try to hit before Halloween, but its a shame you don't see more.

Fortune Favors the Bold
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »

My yard is about 1/4 to 1/3 done.....that rain SUCKED.  I've got prolly 750 lights up, some hanging props, and 1 tombstone out.  When things dry out a half dozen more tombstones, a fogger, two animatronics and some other battery powered things have to go out.  I love putting things together but hate that I get 2-6 trick or treaters total. 

Feel free to share where you see decorated houses / lawns.  I went to see one last week (neighbor of a work associate).  Very impressive!  There's usually a house on Hawthorne in W-S that goes all out....I feel honored when the pizza guy tells me mine is the second best he's seen !

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
jhc36
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »

ours is a quarter the way there.  i typically wait till mid october to finalize a lot of the props and then the day before and day of we go all out preparing for our home haunt.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: