November 19, 2017, 02:56:36 PM
News: Visit a haunt in Virginia this season!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: All things Pumpkin  (Read 4575 times)
handfulofrubies82
Completely Haunted

« on: September 28, 2010, 07:00:45 PM »

Hi, my name is handfulofrubies and I'm a pumpkin fanatic, hehehehe. So I love pumpkins, carving pumpkins, taking photos of pumpkins, etc... I'm interested in pumpkin prices across the triad area. I live around Pilot Mountain, but I go up to Mt. Airy or out to Winston fairly often, so if you come across some pumpkins, please let me know the prices because they vary so much. I'm categorizing them as sugar pumpkin size5-6 inches diameter, medium size (abt. the size of a basketball, and large/XL size.So far, these are the ones I've found.

Place                                                    Sugar          Medium         Large/XL

Pilot Mtn Produce/on bypass       $1.99          $6.99
Sam's Club  / Univ. Pkwy                                                           $8.99
Lowe's Grocery  / Univ. Pkwy                           $2.78              $5.99
Cana, Virginia/NC market                               $4.99              $?             White pumpkins $9.99 - medium/large  Cinderella Pumpkins - medium $7.99
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:07:26 PM by handfulofrubies82 » Logged

Fortune Favors the Bold
handfulofrubies82
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:11:04 PM »

Does anyone know of any pumpkin carving contests/events?

I love carving pumpkins, but I don't know of any carving contests in the triad area. Back when I was at ASU/Boone the univ. sponsored one every year, and it was a lot of fun.  I wish the Dixie Classic Fair would one in their main area, by the tower. The fair itself has a painted pumpkin contest, but carving is just so different and I think its fun to sit down and carve it on the spot.

Fortune Favors the Bold
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:11:55 PM »

The cheapest I saw last year were at Wal-Mart.  Saw that they had a big bin out already a few weeks back.  I'll try and remember to check next time I'm there.

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
handfulofrubies82
Completely Haunted

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »

Does anyone know of any pumpkin carving contests/events?

I love carving pumpkins, but I don't know of any carving contests in the triad area. Back when I was at ASU/Boone the univ. sponsored one every year, and it was a lot of fun.  I wish the Dixie Classic Fair would one in their main area, by the tower. The fair itself has a painted pumpkin contest, but carving is just so different and I think its fun to sit down and carve it on the spot.

Looking around, I did find this:  http://www.oldsalem.org/halloween2010.html
Compete in the pumpkin carving contest on October 26, 27 & 28 from 5--7pm.  Pumpkins will be provided, free of charge.  Pumpkins will be displayed on the fence on the Square on Saturday, 10/30, which is when the winners will be announced!   <-----    It doesn't say anything about ages, so I'm assuming its all ages!

Fortune Favors the Bold
Badger
Completely Haunted

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »

Sound like you need to join http://pumpkincult.com/

Grin

Slappy
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »

There are always a lot of small pumpkin-carving contests around here, but nothing TOO major.

However, if you want the biggest, best pumpkins at the best prices, head to the Farmer's Market off of Sandy Ridge Road.  They had HUGE pumpkins, and the prices were good.
Neurotica

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »

There are always a lot of small pumpkin-carving contests around here, but nothing TOO major.

However, if you want the biggest, best pumpkins at the best prices, head to the Farmer's Market off of Sandy Ridge Road.  They had HUGE pumpkins, and the prices were good.

Where is Sandy Ridge Road?
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »

I was at the farmer's market Sat. morning and we did see some amazing pumpkins.  Small, large, some white versions (??), etc.  I never got a price on them but they just looked "cleaner" than most commercial pumpkins I've seen.  We were only in one building so not sure on selection outside of the one vendor we passed.

Sandy Ridge Rd. is off I-40 on the western side of Greensboro. 

Slappy
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »

You should definitely check out the outside vendors, too.  They are always very impressive. 

I've also just heard about a place in southern Virginia where they have pumpkins of all sizes and shapes, and they're priced at $0.29 per pound.  If anyone can find any more info on this place, please post it up.
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »

For your list-

Wal-Mart 3.98 pumpkins for the largest ones they have.  White pumkins were $2.98.  Small / decorative little pumpkins were 0.78 per pound IIRC

handfulofrubies82
Completely Haunted

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »

I'm thinking about pumpkins again. Earlier this month I sent an email to the people in charge of the Elkin Pumpkin Festival, to see if they would be interested in having a pumpkin carving contest. The lady I contacted asked the group in charge and she sent me a reply that they wouldn't be doing anything that was related to Halloween. I think its a shame. I  mean its a pumpkin festival and you can't carve pumpkins. I thought maybe they could make it a fall theme if they didn't want "halloween" designs. She said forwarded the idea to the Dobson Fest planners that have their festival in late October. I'm pretty disappointed. Sad

Fortune Favors the Bold
NCHadmin
Administrator
Completely Haunted

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 05:52:28 AM »

What?!?!?!
Pumpkins w/o Halloween?
Heresy!

Then they should wait for November to do the 'fall festival', Thanksgiving stuff - and not confuse the kids.

Pumpkins without Halloween... oughta be a law ag'in it!

-NCHAdmin
Blame Elvis
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 07:35:52 AM »

I love pumpkins! I've always said that when I get rich and famous I'm gonna get a farm house with a giant pumpkin patch.

Carrigan Farms in Mooresville is where anyone in the Charlotte metro area should go. Super cool people. They gave me some old corn stock for our yard haunt a couple of years ago. They do hayrides and what not. During season I think they have a haunt as well, called Scarrigan Farms or something. I've never been.

http://www.carriganfarms.com/hayrides/pumpkin-patch-tour

-Eddie

jhc36
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »

I love pumpkin BEER!

We go here...  http://www.hodgesfarmnc.com/PumpkinPatch.asp   

~honey~
Completely Haunted

Crazed Blonde

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »

Uh
I love pumpkin BEER!

We go here...  http://www.hodgesfarmnc.com/PumpkinPatch.asp   

Amen to the beer!  Slappy and I went to Total Wine last night to check out their stock, and they've got at least 15 different types of pumpkin and oktoberfest beers to choose from.  Everyone of age should check them out!  Really tastes like the season  Grin Grin

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

*FrightSeeker and Hacker*
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: