November 22, 2017, 08:58:39 PM
News: Visit a North Carolina haunt this weekend!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Vortex Theater NYC  (Read 10816 times)
handfulofrubies82
Completely Haunted

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »

Anytime anyone wants to plan a nyc roadtrip, I'm in. I went for halloween in 2003, but I don't think they were doing anything like Vortex back then. It's too bad though that we didn't think ahead and all go for sleep no more; more than worth it!!

Fortune Favors the Bold
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »

Im very serious about next year.  Problem is work / football.......but I think I gotta find a way.   Their spring haunting is "invite only" or that would make more sense time-wise for me to check out.  Sigh.

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
krb187
Completely Haunted

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »

Im serious too

Radiant_Red
Completely Haunted

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 12:33:57 AM »

Jumping on this bandwagon. At least to go to NYC. I'll stay in my comfort zone and away from the vortex. Sleepy Hollow would be cool to check out.

Fair is foul, and foul is fair

All Hallow's Eve has become a night of frolic, where children wear costumes and run amok!
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 06:54:04 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/dec/04/america-horror-theatre

Craziness.

krb187
Completely Haunted

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »

I could do it. Without pissing myself? Different story hahah

Prof. Hacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »

Doesn't sound like "horror" so much as "abuse".
-Prof
ReLlIK ThE KiLlEr CloWn
Completely Haunted

MaKeS ME LAfF!

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

Doesn't sound like "horror" so much as "abuse".
-Prof

I agree with Prof. This sorta sounds a little too far.. I see what they are trying to do.. But also, there is a fine line between getting scared and actually abused.. hahaha.
I love the idea though. I wouldn't mind acting in something like this..

I'm not a clown that makes you laugh, instead you MAKE ME LAUGH as you Scream in PAIN!
krb187
Completely Haunted

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »

The way I see it is if you pay for it then you do it too yourself. But I don't think its too far, I think its exactly what the haunt scene needs right now.

~honey~
Completely Haunted

Crazed Blonde

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »

Ugh, this sounds miserable and not worth the money at all.  There is a difference between "haunt" and "nonsense abusive behavior that shouldn't be condoned by anyone, done to people who need psychological help for their creepy fetishes".

This is what I hope the haunt scene does not turn to.  They need to create their own category and not call it a haunt, IMO.  I'd rather not see this stuff start to become the "norm" for haunted houses (or attractions, I guess I should say).  I may be giving my brutal opinion, and I'm sure some of you don't agree with me, but I just don't find any entertainment value in something like this. 

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

*FrightSeeker and Hacker*
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »

I think it's a perfectly acceptable opinion.  I also think that there is no way the haunt industry goes this route.  Liability is huge and honestly I don't think a large group of people are seeking this sort of experience. 

Personally I'm looking to get scared and I'm guessing it takes a new level for me to do so.  I applaud them for innovation and depravity but highly doubt they (or similar "experiences") will ever be the standard.

Slappy
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »

A new level of what?  Usually I'm right there with you guys, but this isn't a haunted house, it's a snuff film without the cameras.  This is sick, perverted and disgusting and I can't believe people actually pay for this garbage.  I'll put a noose around your neck, cover you in blood and kick you in your privates for $5 each, how does that sound?  If you want nudity, then take your clothes off, I'll take pictures and post them on the internet!  And you never have to leave NC! 

This place should be closed down.  No, this place should be burned down and the owners should go to jail.  No, prison, where they can all be the significant other to someone named Tiny.
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »

The question becomes why do we attend haunts, watch horror movies, celebrate Halloween, etc etc.

A big part of it is the love of the "genre".  I *love* going through haunts but have become a bit jaded- seeing faults or predicting the scare.  I got scared IIRC just once last year.  It's been years since I've been scared by a horror film- The Blair Witch Project best I can remember.  What I am looking for is fear (the illusion of danger mind you) and I think it sounds interesting.  Do I want to be water boarded?  Not really.  The initial description- going through alone, shoeless, and being instructed on what to do....the simple thought is unique (for me) and scary.  People pay for lots of stupid things.....I think people that pay for tickets to a rap "concert" are stupid....I can yell into a microphone for $5.  To each their own, there.  And again, I think this group is catering to a very niche audience....it's not going to be the standard come October.

I think these folks are putting together an attraction (I'll not use the word haunt) to try and scare people in new ways.  If you read the walk-throughs / reviews from 1-2 years ago things were  a lot more tame.  Like most things in life they "up the ante" in successive years/films/etc.  To my knowledge they're not doing anything illegal and I just don't get the hatred here.  It's like anything in life.....if you don't like it, you just don't go (ie Twilight films!). 

The best thing to come from this thread- interesting conversation during the "off-season"

The worst thing to come from this thread- the idea of Slappy photographing me naked  Wink   

~honey~
Completely Haunted

Crazed Blonde

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

I can understand the thought that you just need something MORE to get scared. 

HOWEVER, this place seems to be just using plain out sadomasochism... not particularly fear, in my opinion, just shock.  And yay, boobs.  I dunno, it seems more like this place is catering to perverse sexual setups than anything else.  I'm not afraid of a woman bleeding and grinding on me, I'm disgusted, and I don't want to pay to have something like that happen.  Nor do I want to be choked.  Or made to eat a fetus.  Or have to strip in front of people.  The scariest parts were being blindfolded and drove in a van to a creepy warehouse with the "men in black".  And at the end, not knowing if it was actually over would be disorienting too.  But everything in between is just gross.  I heard of a place that sticks you with acupuncture needles, and while I am terrified of needles, I think I would be more raving mad if I paid to go to a place and they did that to me.  There is a line that shouldn't be crossed, no matter how "jaded" you are by normal scares in haunted houses, this is just too much for me. 

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

*FrightSeeker and Hacker*
krb187
Completely Haunted

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 11:59:25 PM »

I guess I should jump in here. I agree with Pack on the higher lever of it. But you definately can't define it as general horror or general haunts. It is for a very set group of people, and if I would have to classify it I would say its the haunt equivalent of an exploitation horror film. It is definately not for everyone thats for sure. It is an exploitation haunt and I dig that but thats just me, it will always be subjective.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: