November 19, 2017, 12:57:34 PM
News: Visit a North Carolina haunt this weekend!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 1 season to go!  (Read 3102 times)
Slappy
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »

Well folks, we're on the final turn about to head into the home stretch.  Yes, tomorrow, Wednesday, June 20th marks the first day of Summer, and the final season before every0ne's favorite, Fall!  Known to those in the biz as "Haunt Season".  I know all of our featured haunts have been hard at work fixing, changing and adding to their haunts.  Members have been hitting up MHC and other conventions and festivals.  Some members have even been taking advantage of the off-season haunting at some of our local haunts, as well as doing a bit of paranormal investigating.  So it's time to get the ball rolling...

Haunt owners, we're always eager to find out what you might be adding into your haunt, or improving upon.  Give us some teasers as to what we can expect.

Haunt goers, any big plans for this year?  Going to hit some haunts you've never been to before?  Going back to your favorite (or least favorite!) from past season(s)? 

It's been far too quiet around here lately.  Scary quiet, actually.  So chime in, or if haunt owners want to post in their sub-forums, let's go!
Cousin Levi Slaughter
Completely Haunted

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »

It has been very quiet here...we are waiting for our shipments to come in that we ordered at Transworld. Expect a few "big" set changes at The Slaughter House Horror this year, as for the teaser....it will come in a few weeks.
Slaughter.

I have a $89.00 chainsaw.... and I know how to use it....
Slappy
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »

Well Slaughter, I'm glad to see you're awake.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to partake of the Slaughter House experience yet.  Hopefully this year I'll be able to make it out there one night.  I know we do some "actors" nights with other haunts.
Julie
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »

Here's something new...per their facebook page, Spookywoods is thinking of selling beer. I think it's an awful idea as a haunt lover, but curious to see what you guys think.
Slappy
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »

Wow...

Well, as an avid haunt-goer, and haunt-giver, I can tell you that the number of intoxicated people I've seen and dealt with at haunts is ridiculous, to say the least.  I despise people that feel it's necessary to get drunk to have a good time.  "Liquid courage" is what we call it.  So I think the idea of selling alcohol at a haunt is a HORRIBLE idea.  There's only one place for people to go after the haunt...back on the road.  Seems like a really bad idea to.  Unless you're a cop looking to make your monthly quota.
Julie
Mostly Haunted

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »

Wow, indeed. I went back to see the post and can't find it anywhere. Below is what I remember, so it's not verbatim.

I don't know who their moderator is but the responses to the question about selling beer were overwhelmingly negative. Only a few "hell yeah's", and a couple of more reasoned responses who said it would be a good idea.

Mod added a post stating they had talked with other venue owners, and many places sold it. I can't imagine a haunt selling beer.

Mod also posted that their facebook fans are mostly women, so they assumed most of the responses would be negative. That irritates me. Enough to never go there again, beer or no beer.

Mod also posted that if they sold it, they could control it. Yeah, maybe, MAYBE on the premises, but certainly not off.

Maybe I'm just too provincial. I understand, as the mod said, it would be a business decision, BUT...my going there is a consumer decision, and I have no desire to be around people who started drinking before they came, and continued when they got there.

This just makes me sad.
Slappy
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »

I just really don't see any good coming from selling alcohol at a haunted attraction.  There are far too many underage kids and teenagers.  There are too many people that are too stupid and irresponsible to handle alcohol at such a venue.  There are too many things that can and will go wrong.  I've never been to a haunt that sells alcohol, at least not that I'm aware of.  Concessions are one thing. Soda, water, chips, funnel cakes, those are all good.  Even hamburgers and hot dogs if your attraction is big enough to warrant such offerings.  But you're serving alcohol to people in an environment that already puts them on edge, and tends to make a lot of them violent and aggressive.  So you offer them something that will make it even worse?  Pardon my language, but what in the hell kind of though process is going on here?!

Okay, sorry, I'll calm down. 

Anyone else have any news?
Badger
Completely Haunted

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »

I'm gearing up for what looks to be my best season yet as an actor trainer and voice work consultant.  Just got hired this week by none other than Spookywoods for two days of whipping their actors into haunt shape.  Remember I'm running very good specials for any and all haunts in the Carolinas.  Just emial me for details.

Also MHC was a complete and total blast.  Here are some highlights as well as the Big Scary Crew being interviewed (about 17:45 in).  Warning: Some parts of the costume ball may be considered NSFW or young children...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWauypOqcns&feature=player_embedded#!

Cousin Levi Slaughter
Completely Haunted

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 05:37:49 PM »

Well Slaughter, I'm glad to see you're awake.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to partake of the Slaughter House experience yet.  Hopefully this year I'll be able to make it out there one night.  I know we do some "actors" nights with other haunts.

Slappy
 this year we " took some us time "....because of  ALL the major construction we did last year, we needed to take a little step away, but don't think that means we aren't working hard now. I just got done unloading a 18 wheeler with our first delivery from Transworld .... TODAY....!
 If you want a "clue" what was inside the truck , just check out this site   www.nethercraft.com . Pics to come as time draws near.
Slaughter
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:39:30 PM by slaughter » Logged

Badger
Completely Haunted

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 07:23:40 AM »

Well Slaughter, I'm glad to see you're awake.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to partake of the Slaughter House experience yet.  Hopefully this year I'll be able to make it out there one night.  I know we do some "actors" nights with other haunts.

Slappy
 this year we " took some us time "....because of  ALL the major construction we did last year, we needed to take a little step away, but don't think that means we aren't working hard now. I just got done unloading a 18 wheeler with our first delivery from Transworld .... TODAY....!
 If you want a "clue" what was inside the truck , just check out this site   www.nethercraft.com . Pics to come as time draws near.
Slaughter

Oh Lawd...

Prof. Hacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »

Haunt owners, we're always eager to find out what you might be adding into your haunt, or improving upon.  Give us some teasers as to what we can expect.

Bunny has a new set and playmate, as do the swamp creatures....We're building several huge scenes for some new (huge) monsters to play with our guests, 'things' not seen anywhere else... yes, this will be a very scary season!

Slaughter, kudos on the Nethercraft purchase,   - they make excellent stuff!

-Prof
Cousin Levi Slaughter
Completely Haunted

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »

{/quote]

Slaughter, kudos on the Nethercraft purchase,   - they make excellent stuff!
-Prof
[/quote]

It's our first time dealing with them, but it's been a pleasure & easy to work with them, I really like  the way we have the option to keep "adding on" as each panel interlocks & fits together. In the future I can see this being " HUGE - er"... as it's over 22 feet tall already....

Sissyhaunt
Completely Haunted

Hard Core Haunted House Attendee

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »

Slappy, I agree about the alcohol. Not a good mix. BUT I can't wait for the season to start again. I have loved the off season haunts that have been done and have gone to each one. We are looking forward to another great season. All the haunts seem to get better and better each year.

Born on Friday the 13th. Could be why I love all things scary lol
packbacker
Completely Haunted

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »

Late to the discussion but have to agree about alcohol sales.

1)  You have to drive to these attractions.  There's a personal responsibility factor but it seems like it would encourage problems.
2)  Alcohol often brings out the "tough guy" syndrome.  No one needs (more of) that when dealing with actors/props.
3)  Known to increase fighting in general.  Nothing like taking a longgggggggg line of people and having two or more drunkards getting into it, spilling beer, and causing general chaos. 
4)  Increased security needs/costs and then the worry about selling or use to under-aged individuals (probably the target audience of most haunts).
5)  Demand.  I love beer and honestly wouldn't mind having one while standing in a 2hr Spookywoods line.  That being said after paying for parking, the ticket, etc. do I want/need a $8 bud light?

Just don't think the need/demand outweighs the problems that we all foresee with alcohol sales.  I've run into my fare share of drunkards at attractions (had a guy last year at Midway urinate WHILE STANDING IN LINE and honestly don't need more!

My 2 (late) cents.  Looking forward to fall- for a weather break, football, and the lovely month of October. 

"You can't piss on hospitality.  I won't allow it!"
Sissyhaunt
Completely Haunted

Hard Core Haunted House Attendee

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »

Lol I guess better late than never. I was in the hospital for 2 months and had 5 surgeries on my face and neck because hospital made a big mistake. but I am back and ready to go

Born on Friday the 13th. Could be why I love all things scary lol
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: