November 18, 2017, 04:21:32 PM
News: Visit a North Carolina haunt this weekend!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 13th Acre - Monroe, NC  (Read 475 times)
Badger
Completely Haunted

« on: November 03, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »

13th Acre
http://www.the13thacre.com/

Date attended: 10/29/2016

Scare Factor: 3/5
The 13th Acre is part of the A.W. Shucks Farm outside Monroe.  The farm features a corn maze, pumpkin patch, hayride, general store, train, and lots of kid's activities during the day.  However, once the sun goes down, lurking in the back of the farm, lies a sinister looking trail going off into the darkness.  The 'other' area of the farm is VERY well lit and not particularly eerie, but not in the back.  The trail is much darker and not recommended for young kids.   After getting my ticket, I got in line with some apprehensive customers and after a couple of words about not touching actors, etc, we were off.

Actors: 3.5/5
I will admit to putting on a training workshop at 13th Acres 5 day s before they opened.  Most of the actors who attended were young (high-school aged) kids and there were many of these working the trail.  The actors were rather enthusiastic and made the members of our group scream almost at will.  I enjoyed the interaction of the actors to the customers.  The clowns were frightening, the hillbillies disturbing, the chainsaw were gritty, and the group I was in screamed loudly and with pure terror.  I loved every minute of it.  If these actors stay here for a couple more seasons, their growth will only make this haunt better and better.

Set Design/Props/FX: 3.75/5
The first quarter of the trail is along what looks like cattle chutes at a slaughterhouse.  They do their job in creating an aura of dread and hopelessness as you move along the dirty corridors.  I would guess that 90% of the props are handmade and authentic.  13th Acre is delightfully primitive and refreshing from those large haunts filled with animatronics and thousand-dollar silicon masks.  I enjoyed it a lot.

Length: 2.75/5
15-20 minutes to go through to the trail.  No real complaints.  You could spend a couple hours at the corn maze, pumpkin patch, and other stuff.

Value: 4/5
From the website: Regular Ticket: $11.00 - Combo Ticket with Aw Shucks Farms: $18.00. That's a lot of fun for less than $20. There are merchandise and concession buildings and even a general store for shopping and such.

Other:
FREE PARKING! LOTS of things to do here. AW Shucks farm hosts weddings and school trips so be advised they may be going on while your're at the haunt.

Overall: 3.4/5
13th Acre is a fun haunt and convenient to Monroe or Waxhaw.  If you're going on a multiple haunt trip during the season, I recommend you giving it a look as you can get in and out in less than an hour.  Or come early, pick out a pumpkin (or several) get lost in the corn maze, and sample some tasty food from their concession shacks.  I enjoyed this one a lot and will be making it a part of my haunt tours in the future.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: